Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

sanding sealer before covering

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

sanding sealer before covering

Old 01-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Tony Hallo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: sanding sealer before covering

Copied from Wikipedia
"One of the polymers used is polyvinylpyrrolidone, which is also used to glue the layers of wood in plywood together. A non-water soluble polymer called polydimethylsiloxane is added to make the hold last a bit longer (the polyvinylpyrrolidine is water soluble). Pytocalcious chemicals are another family of ingredients in hair spray, which increase the amount of minerals in the hair's root causing the hair to become stiff."

In addition to sealing the surface the hairspray contains a sticky substance that makes the covering stick better. All I can say is try this and you not be dissappointed. I have found that Monokote shrinks better when the wood is treated with hairspray.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:26 AM
pdf3@comcast.net

Hi there!

I'm using Ultracote to cover my B-47 model. It adheres very well to the 'raw balsa' surfaces, but won't stick to the areas where I've had to use some filler. Is there a good 'pre-treatment' method for the filled areas that will help the Ultracote stick? Any suggestions would sure be appreciated.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:39 AM
jaka

Hi!
Oracover (Ultracote only in the US) sticks like hell to allmost all surfaces !
For filler I recommend 24hour epoxy or polyester resin mixed brown microballons! Oracover sticks like glue to this.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46158.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1715404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82166.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	1715405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90536.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1715406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng10244.jpg
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1715407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep86454.jpg
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1715408  
Old 01-18-2012, 04:24 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tony,,
Hairspray 30-40 years ago is very different that what can be sold today,, the used to have PCVs in it too,,, then the wondered why all the hairdressers were getting cancer. They've pulled all the good toxic stuff off the market. There was a good story on the PVC industry and bone deterioration and cancer on PBS a few years ago, that where I got the hairspray reference. We've moved all that polution to China now []
Old 01-26-2012, 03:10 PM
DustBen
My Feedback: (3)

Just a note for those buying Balsarite for covering prep...

Balsarite is nitrate dope!
As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, when using Balsarite, make sure it is completely devoid of any solvents (well dried!) before covering.

Covering over an area of Balsarite still retaining solvents will result in the solvents evaporating due to the heat and creating lots of bubbles under the film.

Personally, I see no need for using a prep coat.
Having said that, I vacuum the areas to be covered diligently to rid any loose dust that will interfere with the bond between the film and the structure.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:51 PM
biam

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

I agree, just cover.

However, they do make a chemical that you brush on called Balsarite. (sp?)

This adds to the sticking of the plastic film covering.

Also, making thousands of pin holes in the balsa is said to make things easier. They have a tool for that.
It's called the ''Woodpecker'' Tower sells them,, a buddy of mine actually designed and marketed that,, then Great Planes bought the Paten/tooling from him

It works great,, especially for covering over covering
covering 0ver covering? Interesting, I'm getting ready to recover my four star 60, covering is starting to show it's age after eight year's, how many have had sucess with this? I would like to try this if it comes with favorable results.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:16 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

last time I used it for that was last spring on my Extra 300 (which is up for sale BTW) Bottom of the wing was done all in pink, then the purple was added over that,, those big areas would be impossible to make look nice without the woodpecker.

The year before I finished up a Midwest Extra 300,, had a lot of monokote over monokote too,, used it there too.

last pic is from a Ohio RC Ultimate I had about 15 years ago,, used the tool then too

IMO, it really is a must have tool if you use film.

p.s.
Anybody heard from Bud lately?? If you fly with him in San Diego, if he still lives there, tell him I say hi,, I feel bad we've lost contact

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27093.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1720990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74846.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	1720991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90407.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	134.8 KB