Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

How to remove scratches on clear vacumm formed part?

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

How to remove scratches on clear vacumm formed part?

Old 08-30-2011, 05:24 AM
Dai Phan
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove scratches on clear vacumm formed part?

Hello all,

I need some expert help on this. Yesterday I mistakenly used acetone to clean the clear vacumm formed wing light cover on my Stuka instead of alcohol!!! Needless to say, it fogged up pretty badly. I tried to rub/polish it down with toothpaste but it is still foggy. This plastic is soft and it does not let itself buffed out well compared to hard polysterene plastic. Any ideas on how to get the clear back? Thanks in advance and I await your replies. DP
Old 08-30-2011, 07:03 AM
Oberst
Banned

Default RE: How to remove scratches on clear vacumm formed part?

ORIGINAL: Dai Phan

Hello all,

I need some expert help on this. Yesterday I mistakenly used acetone to clean the clear vacumm formed wing light cover on my Stuka instead of alcohol!!! Needless to say, it fogged up pretty badly. I tried to rub/polish it down with toothpaste but it is still foggy. This plastic is soft and it does not let itself buffed out well compared to hard polysterene plastic. Any ideas on how to get the clear back? Thanks in advance and I await your replies. DP

Sorry, your going to have to replace the canopy.

Pete

Old 08-30-2011, 07:07 AM
karolh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do believe that you have shot yourself in the foot on this one.

Karol
Old 08-30-2011, 07:32 AM
delman

Could try painting it.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:52 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

I have heard you can clear them and they look like new. Never tried it though. It should be the same as clearing over sanded paint. What have you got to loose?

david
Old 08-30-2011, 02:37 PM
aussiesteve

Depending on what the plastic is, Clear might work.

Use an acrylic clear, if that doesn't do it, nothing will. What has happened is the Acetone has chemically altered the surface of the plastic.

Heat will also help but the trick is to heat the surface enough without deforming the part. A propane torch is good for this but it needs to be wafted over the surface and not left to linger for long. There is a high risk on such thin parts that you will distort the part so it may pay to make a mold of the part first with Plaster of Paris.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:03 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Before you go out and buy any paint if it doesn't go clear when it's wet with water,, it won't be clear after it's painted with a clear coat either
Old 08-31-2011, 02:41 AM
Kaos Rulz

DP

Did you try toothpaste with baking soda in it? If not, try it. It's a little more abrasive. In fact, that's a home remedy for clearing up headlights on your car without buying the $20 kits.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:43 AM
Dai Phan

Hi all,

I went out and bought the 600,800,1000 and 2000 grade sandpaper and give the lens a good sanding. After that I polished with plastic polisher and it looks 50% clearer. I think after I dip in Future, it will be acceptable. Let's see how that turns out. My lession is NEVER put acetone bottle next to the alcohol bottle or put debonder next to the CA. I ended up using the wrong one all the time!!! Yesterday after I spend over 35 hours painting, weathering on my FMS Stuka I deciede to wipe the whole model down with alcohol before I clear coat the model. Guess what, I accidentally used acetone instead and now I have to repaint and re-weather the model all over again. I can't believe how much time I already spent on this foamy!!! I am telling you. This hobby will drive me to the abyss. DP
Old 08-31-2011, 06:33 AM
karolh

Think that maybe you need some bigger PRINT on the bottles to diffrenciate them.

Karol
Old 08-31-2011, 09:39 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

some pics?

Hi all,

I went out and bought the 600,800,1000 and 2000 grade sandpaper and give the lens a good sanding. After that I polished with plastic polisher and it looks 50% clearer. I think after I dip in Future, it will be acceptable. Let's see how that turns out. My lession is NEVER put acetone bottle next to the alcohol bottle or put debonder next to the CA. I ended up using the wrong one all the time!!! Yesterday after I spend over 35 hours painting, weathering on my FMS Stuka I deciede to wipe the whole model down with alcohol before I clear coat the model. Guess what, I accidentally used acetone instead and now I have to repaint and re-weather the model all over again. I can't believe how much time I already spent on this foamy!!! I am telling you. This hobby will drive me to the abyss. DP
Old 08-31-2011, 09:50 AM
Dai Phan

ORIGINAL: vasek

some pics?

Hi all,

The clear piece or the plane? DP
Old 08-31-2011, 10:28 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Before you go out and buy any paint if it doesn't go clear when it's wet with water,, it won't be clear after it's painted with a clear coat either

Exactly, very good point.

Pete
Old 08-31-2011, 10:43 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

The clear piece or the plane? DP
DP, the clear piece before & after... to see if it works
Old 08-31-2011, 06:12 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built many Formula One pylon racers. During the finishing process, everything was sanded including the canopy, which would fog it up so bad you could not see through it. After all the painting was done, a coat of clear was shot over the entire airplane, and the canopy got as clear as it was when new. Light going through the canopy only cared that the inside and outside surfaces were smooth, scratches covered up with the clear coat didn't matter.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:31 AM
Dai Phan

Hi all,

I got the piece restored even better than before. This is what I did:

1. Wetsand with 600,800,1000 and 2000 grade sandpapers.
2. Polish with polishing compound bought at the automotive store and wash with soap and water. I am sure toothpaste will work too (not the colored gel type).
3. Dip in acrylic floor finish (any brand will do).
4. Lay it in the edge and let dry.

The result is so clear that it looks like glass! DP
Old 09-06-2011, 03:57 PM
ABORH

happich simichrome metal polish Depending on how badly scratched the plastic is, this works very well. I used it to clear the canopy on a GP Phantom that was ruined because of a solvent it was exposed to. It took work, but it was nearly perfectly clear when I was through. It will also remove the clouding due to CA exposure. This also does a nice job on chrome.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:19 AM
Dai Phan

Hi all,

You can see the buffed out light cover on my Stuka. Now I know how to repair fogged lens cover! Thanks all for your help. DP
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt58935.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1664651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69658.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1664652