Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

How to fiberglass conical shapes

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

How to fiberglass conical shapes

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to fiberglass conical shapes

I have done few conical shapes before with not so much great results as i desire, so like to know how do you guys add fiber glass skins on aux fuel tanks on warbird with front and back conical shapes.

I recently made newer aux fuel tanks for my S Constellation model and like to add couple mounting formers first and then add fiber glass skin on these, my problem is where front and back ends are on these shapes. I can't get cloth n resin to stick on these points!, plus should i use fiberglass tape by wrapping it around the whole tank from one end to another end or could i do it in full sections as normally done...

If you have good tip or trick or technique to do this, pls share it here.

Thanks in advance..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65254.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1718341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52367.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1718342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq35929.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1718343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91562.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1718344  
Old 01-24-2012, 02:15 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default RE: How to fiberglass conical shapes

You should easily be able to do this in two halfs. Try cutting the fibeglass cloth so the weave is at 45 degrees to the part center line. The type of cloth you are using may be an issue as well. I have found that some of the hobby packaged cloths to be junk. Also you should be using laminating epoxy resin. Try your local marine supply house for some " Deck Cloth " usually it's 3.7 oz. you can also buy online quality cloth and resin systems from CST and ACP.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:14 PM
aussiesteve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To do it well. Get some Satin Weave cloth.
The Warps are the more dominant part of the weave with the Wefts only acting as holders. This sort of weave is by far easiest for complex shapes.

If you are only glassing for surface finish. Use surface tissue instead of woven cloth.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:54 PM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: aussiesteve

To do it well. Get some Satin Weave cloth.
The Warps are the more dominant part of the weave with the Wefts only acting as holders. This sort of weave is by far easiest for complex shapes.

If you are only glassing for surface finish. Use surface tissue instead of woven cloth.

Actually i plan on glassing both of these with lite ply 1/16" mounting formers as part of the structure, once glass is fully cured, i will select a section from which i will pour gasoline in these to burn out the foam, that way i will be left with hollow shell with couple of formers copulated on the skin's inner part....

I have 3/4oz cloth on hand from K&B hobbies, i will use Pacer's Z-poxy laminating resin for this purpose. I also have 4oz and 6oz weave cloths also but those will become heavier in the end weight. So i think 2-3 layers of 3/4oz cloth should be sufficient...

Old 01-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Props4ever

Mods can you please move this thread into "Questions and answer" section of the site where it's more appropriate and i would get more suggestions there. Thanks...
Old 01-25-2012, 07:30 PM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spray the form lightly with a foam safe contact cement, Elmer's brand I think. Wait 'till it gets sticky and then put the glass fabric on. The cement holds the cloth in place while I brush on the resin. I find the marine epoxies to be far better than the ones you get at the hobby shops.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:49 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
All you have to do is use Satin glasfiber weave! Satin weave is much more easy to form around complex shapes than ordinary 50 -100g weave.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Props4ever

Jaka,

How is Satin weave cloth different from regular weave cloth, is it uni-directional or different?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:31 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
I don't know really! All I know is that it is much more plyable than ordinary weavy! So it goes around curves and sadle shaped objects much more easily.
Have used it myself for 30 years.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:35 PM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
I don't know really! All I know is that it is much more plyable than ordinary weavy! So it goes around curves and sadle shaped objects much more easily.
Have used it myself for 30 years.

Ok, i'll look into it then...

I'm thinking on glassing these tip tanks with 4oz cloth vs 2-3 layers of 3/4th oz cloth since i want to hollow out the foam with gasoline once glass will be fully cured.