Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Tips for removing covering?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Warbird40
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for removing covering?

I am looking for any tips on how to remove stuck on covering. I bought an old Shoestring that I would like to re-cover
but the old covering is staying stuck to the balsa when I peel it off....any tips?
Also which covering is better......Monocoat, Ultacoat or Coverite?
Thanks!
Old 12-25-2012, 09:52 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Tips for removing covering?

What seems to work for me on removeing old covering is to use a hot air gun onto the covering, to soften up the glue, and peel the covering off as you go. You'll open up a can of worms with the second half of your question, so you are on your own with that one...................Gene
Old 12-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Warbird40

Gene, I figured some would say that to the second part of question......I am wondering if there is a big difference between the 2 as far as the durability, quality, ease of application, etc. Thanks for the removal tip and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2012, 10:11 AM
mikegordon10

Well I am not afraid.
Monokote sucks
Ultracoat rules!
Any questions?
Old 12-25-2012, 11:19 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Some folks still swear by Monokote and I used to, but not anymore. About a year ago I bought a roll of blue M and it simply refused to shrink, period.

Karol
Old 12-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Warbird40

I am looking for any tips on how to remove stuck on covering. I bought an old Shoestring that I would like to re-cover
but the old covering is staying stuck to the balsa when I peel it off....any tips?
Also which covering is better......Monocoat, Ultacoat or Coverite?
Thanks!
Heat gun and pliers, tweezers, etc. Once you have the covering off you can use laquer thinner to remove any excess glue. The heat will work great with older covering that is cracking up. As far as covering, some of the last MK I bought was the worst ever and I have heard so many problems with MK now. Yet, some people are still having good luck with it. It is like a crap shoot buying it now. No problems for me so far with other brands, but then I don't do that much covering.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:10 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep, heat gun, razor blade and pliers are a good tool as well.

I avoid plastic coverings at all costs......But if you have to use it Ultracoat is the best IMO.

Something has changed with Monokote, other than the price going up. Not to mention the fact it really does not last. Not sure why, but the shrinking ability has gone in the toilet.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:25 PM
52larry52

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All of the previously mentioned tools for removing old covering are correct, with heat from your heat gun being the second most important item. The most important thing to have is patience, lots of patience! It's not a fun job but if you persevere you can get thru it. As far as a "best" replacement covering goes, I would not point a newbee to covering toward Monokote. I am a Monokote user that is trying other brands to compare. In the last seven or eight years or so I have done eight complete covering jobs on both new builds and recovers. (about one a year) Five have been with Monokote as the main color with either Ultracoat or Towerkote as the trim color. Two have been with Towerkote as the primary color and one with Coverite 21st century fabric. I am about to do my first complete Ultracoat recover, having used it for patch and trim color use. IMHO, Monokote is the more difficult to get good results with. As mentioned, it dosen't shrink and hold that shrink real well. I was happy with the Coverite fabric (used cream color on an Elder 40), and also very happy with the Towerkote (used Cub yellow as a primary color on a small 50" biplane and a small 54" Aeronca Champ). The Towerkote is about half the price of the others (on sale it's $7.99 a roll) and shrinks up very well and holds the tight shrink over time. I did the biplane about 3 yrs ago and the Champ 5 or 6 yrs ago and they both have never had to be reshrunk. The ones I covered with monokote see the heat gun at least once a year. Color selection with Towerkote is limited to 9 basic colors, so it won't work for everthing but if your doing a simple basic color with one or two trims, give it a try. I found it to be the easist to apply and shrink up. I'll let you know on the Ultracoat in a couple of weeks.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Warbird40

52larry52, thanks for such a detailed reply. I have been wondering about the quality of Towerkote for a while (due to the price), so im glad that its of good quality. I will most likely give it a try.

Best regards,
Edwin
Old 12-26-2012, 03:30 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: mikegordon10

Well I am not afraid.
Monokote sucks
Ultracoat rules!
Any questions?
I have questions.

How much experience do you have ?

What do you base your statements on ? Can you back them up with pictures that illustrate your comments ?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:44 AM
dignlivn

I'm hooked on Fabric. (JMO). It weighs alittle
more,but is easier to apply. IMO

Bob
Old 12-26-2012, 11:52 AM
mikegordon10

In reply to Tom Crumb - I started CL modeling in the mid sixty's moved to RC in 1971 and have been building RC ever since. I don't do ARF,s but I do repair them for other people. So when an Monokoat covered ARF comes in for me to fix then I have no choice but to use Monokoat but I don't have to like it. I can apply it and know all the little tricks to make it work and look good. BUT if I have a choice or am building something for myself I'll go with the Ultracoat every time.
My story's not much different than a whole lot others here. When TF put out mono in the early 70's I thought it was great and used it a lot, then for whatever reason it went to hell in a hand-basket. I started using other coverings (I'd like to say I've tried 'em all but their is a lot of different coverings out there) and will only use Monokoat if for whatever reason (color mostly) when I'm forced to. I like Ultracoat best and have for many years.
I'm not into pictures and anyway they really don't show much when it comes to telling the story about how much harder somethings are to work with. I can "make" Monokoat work but what's the point when I can do other coverings so much faster and easier.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:01 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

The best and easiest to use is Solartex.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Warbird40

How does Solartex look as compared to other coverings, is it shiny? Does it have a texture?

I would like to know the difference,
Thanks
Old 12-26-2012, 04:53 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

Its like coverite just a lot easier to work with. Soft and goes around curves like no other. The other fabric that was good, 21century, very strong and easy to work with. Solartex does not have a high gloss more like a satin finish. But if you want hi shine you could always spray with a gloss clear which will also seal the edges.Not like it needs it, that is also another good thing with solartex it sticks well unlike coverite which can be a pain at times. Just use low heat to apply it.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Warbird40

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:50 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Tip for removing color left on the wood.
Iron over a piece of paper towel or old bed sheet to lift off left over covering residue.

Unfortunatley I have become an expert at repairing
Old 12-27-2012, 12:16 AM
Warbird40

Thanks OzMo, im starting the removal tomorrow.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:36 PM
Warbird40

Well, I got two rolls of ultra on sale for my main color and will use a little mono given to me for trim. I will post pics in the next week or two.

Thank you all for your advise.

Ed
Old 12-31-2012, 09:34 AM
DustBen
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The "new" Monokote is what we used to call "Coverite 21st Century".
I absolutely love the stuff.
It's very slow shring requiring moderate heat but applied for a longer duration than Ultra-Cote, old Monokote, or other films.

The reason I like the material so well is that once shrunk, it stays tight!

And do note, what is now sold as "21st Century" we once knew to be "Black Baron" (the crappy, low temp film that wouldn't stay stuck nor tight.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Warbird40

I started to cover my Shoestring. Colors are black ultracote, and white and red monokote. Will post pics in a few dys when done. Thank you all for your advise.

Best regards
Ed
Old 01-06-2013, 12:23 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crahsing always seems to work for me
Old 01-06-2013, 03:30 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree with everyone on the removal of old covering, apply heat and peel using tweezers. I cover with two types of covering only, Stits full scale, or Monokote. Monokote has certainly changed the way it handles on application over the years and I had to change in the methods of application I covered with it, Monokote is very difficult to cover with but I use it anyway because of the shine and long term performance I get with it. In my profile gallery there are several pictures of airplane I covered with either Stits or Monokote, see for yourself if you like.

Bob
Old 01-09-2013, 09:33 AM
B.Day

For my two cents worth on removing old covering. I fully agree with all the above statements. However would like to add my technique for removing old covering. I have an old 6"scale,' a ruler' it''s a machinest ruler. You probably could find them at any local hardware store or any other thing that you have like a very small putty knife. But it's thin and made of stainless steel. I have thinned it and rounded of the edges, not sharpened them but just rounded off the edges.If sharpened it will dig into the balsa. Then I insert it under the covering between the balsa and the covering and work it back and forth or twist it and this lifts the old covering off the balsa. Without using any heat at all about 90% of it can be lifted off. Monocote loves the putty we use to fillup gaps during construction and cannot be removed like this. Resist trying to pull it off as this makes it seperate and makes a bigger mess. Also resist using profanity or four letter words as the monocote hears this and become more resistant. With some cheaper films that come on ARF's, the coloring melts into the wood and is harder to remove with anything...Try my method it works for me....

A note on the 'new' Monocote. I am in the process of covering a plane with it now and I can tell you there is a difference between it and the old. The new only likes other covering or balsa. Forget trying to get it to stick on painted surfaces or even fiberglas like the center section of a wing. Also it bubbles a lot more thatn the old. It seems thicker and likes more heat. I have trouble getting it to stick with my trim tool and have to use the big iron to really get it to adhere and stay down...

On the other hand I've used Ultracote for many years and after a while it turns aloose and you cannot get it to stick down again. I've had to replace entire sections of covering on planes because it would not stay in place. And when trying to remove old Ultracote it seems to seperate worse thatn Monocote...Cheers.....
Old 01-09-2013, 08:30 PM
52larry52

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good One, "Monocote hears the four letter words and becomes more resistant"! That's funny, thanks that made me laugh. Funny part is I think it's true!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.