Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Covering compound curves

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Covering compound curves

Old 01-14-2013, 07:43 AM
ululi1970

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Covering compound curves

Much as I like carving wing tips and cowls, I dread the idea of covering them. Usually, I start with a piece with nice and smooth curves, and I end up after covering with a thing covered with warts and wrinkles.[:'(]
I have just about finished carving a cowl for a Sig Something Extra shown in the pic. Note that still needs a final sanding. I am determined to do better this time with the covering.
The idea is to have a two-color scheme. Something like white-red-white. What is the best way to do it? Start from the narrow end (top in the picture) and work my way down or the other way around?
Any tip is appreciated.

Alberto
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37797.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	1840299  
Old 01-14-2013, 09:27 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Covering compound curves

I start at the back. Get it stuck good back there so you an pull and heat at the same time. It helps to have an extra set of hands or a way to mount the piece down solid. I keep a little pressure on the covering and heat it with a sock covered iron holding the material about 1/4" off of the surface. As the covering starts to get soft I pull it down to the balsa and work forward. If the covering is at the right temp and pliable it will go down smooth and wrinkle free.

David
Old 01-14-2013, 10:15 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Why not cover it with 1oz fiber glass/24 hour epoxy and paint it instead? Much easier!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:53 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would glass it. Especially being a cowl.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:04 AM
ululi1970

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may end up glassing it. I think I will give a try with covering first. Boy this cowl job is going to take longer to do than the rest of the plane...
Alberto
Old 01-15-2013, 07:20 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you have a helper it can actually be pretty easy. I use a heat gun for compound curves. If you get the covering stuck at the back like daveopam said with an iron, then get it hot with the heat gun before pulling it tight over the curve. It also helps to use tapered pieces shaped like the sections of a football to keep it from wrinkling at the small end.