Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

CA sticky an stopped up

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

CA sticky an stopped up

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 01:07 AM
1 Pitts Special 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA sticky an stopped up

CA's are great glues an made the rc building a joy. But does anyone know the tip for keeping it unclogged or how to keep the top open? I have used bottles that never gave me a problem but lately it become a real problem every time I use one. I always purchase an extra top now, but am I the only one in the dark here about the proper way to use it?
Old 02-26-2013, 04:50 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: CA sticky an stopped up

I've found a couple of things that seem to help. First, I always tap the bottle on my workbench when I set it down. Second, blow all the sanding dust away and third, drip the CA instead of touching the tip to the wood. Not perfect, but they help.
Walt
Old 02-26-2013, 05:41 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WT has the best solution for keeping one clean but even at that it will eventually gum up. As for cleaning a tip. Keep a spare so when one gets to gimmed up you can take it off, put the spare on, place the gummed up one in boiling water for about 15 minute's, this will crystalise the CA and it will flake right off.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:18 AM
grosbeak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When mine gets too clogged up I toss it in a small jar of acetone for a little while - that takes care of it. I keep my precision CA applicator tips in that same jar. Be sure to blow out any remaining acetone before putting back into service.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:25 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All ofthe above. I just recently learned about tapping down and also I have a small dia piece of music wire that I use to open up clogs with, just bend a small L on one end. Bob Smith industrieshas some good tips on their website, and I find their stuff works better and lasts longer. Also don'tstore your kicker any where close to your open bottles of ca.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:44 AM
1 Pitts Special 1

Thanks for some replays. I use these techniques also. I was afraid I was the only one with these problems. I just thought possibly someone had solved the dreaded clog. Does anyone still keep it in the refrigator after use? I can't really tell if it keeps longer or not. I know we were told back 30 years ago to do that. I guess I do it out of habit.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:25 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Tapping down does help. At the end of the session I also hold a paper towel at the tip and give it a few squeezes. This will clear the last little bit out of the nozzle. Also buy and use some of the extended tips for thin CA. If they do clog you can cut the end off about 10 times and still use it. Finally move the bottle 2' away if you use accelerator. Just a tiny bit in the air will clog the bottle.

David
Old 03-01-2013, 07:13 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I keep a small bottle of acetone with several tips in it so if one clogs up I just grab a clean one, blow it out and use it. When done for the day I take an unused top and put it on the bottle.  The one problem I have run into that I have yet to solve is the gum up of the threads on the bottle.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:45 PM
iflircaircraft

I've coated the outside of the tip with De-bonder as well as the inside of the cap and the threads the cap tightens to.

Tom
Old 03-28-2013, 10:19 AM
a70eliminator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I insert a push pin into the tip and leave it.
If the tip does become fouled witrh ca I bite it off with my teeth, carefull not to glue my lips together.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:37 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I leave the cap off, and when not using CA I keep it in a different cabinet than the one with the bottle of accelerator in it. The earlier suggestion about not touching the tip to the wood being glued is sound, too.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:17 AM
Dreddi
My Feedback: (3)

The idea behind storing it in the refrigerator is the lower humidity, water in the air will cause it to set.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:12 PM
pbilt024
My Feedback: (17)

Leave the cap off and stick a tpin in the end.