Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Add Lift Spoilers to a wing?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Add Lift Spoilers to a wing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 05:54 AM
cptcrusty1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add Lift Spoilers to a wing?

I'm about to embark on my second Dynaflite butterfly build. My last one was very floaty, easy to fly, and never wanted to land. I'd like to add some spoilers to the top of the wings to suck it to the ground like I did on my Uproar 60 and Stinger. but they used Flaperons. The butterly is 3ch, so no wing control surfaces... I've also seen gliders with lift spoilers just aft of the main spar...

Anyone done this before? Pics of the mod?
Old 05-15-2014, 06:47 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did something like that once. No pictures, way too long ago. But what I did was use flat aluminum for the spoiler, "Hinge tape" tape the flat to the bottom of the wing, along with a torque tube Then I folded one end of the spoiler over the L end of a torque rod, and ran the torque rod back into the fuselage and servo. Much more difficult to describe that do.

Les
Old 05-15-2014, 10:50 AM
crossman

I have the manual for Great Planes Spirit sailplane. They show a simple way to install spoilers in there as an option. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I can pass it along to you.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:49 AM
Thunder Chicken

I have some spoilers on my Kadet Senior. I got them from Hobbyking. I run them off a small servo, a HS85 i believe. I installed them right behind the spar, and about 6" out from the center of the wing.
When they are deployed, the plane literally falls from the sky! I add a touch of power in the flair, and she settles in nicely. With the flaps down as well, it will land and roll out in a few lengths of itself, and easily descend several hundred feet......in several hundred feet =)
You can see the red spoilers on the top of the wing.
Have fun!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	127_1144.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	1996931  
Old 05-20-2014, 10:51 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Electric spoilers are becoming pretty common on gliders, just plug them into the rx and mount them in the wing.

There's a link to an inexpensive set if you want to tinker
Old 05-20-2014, 08:25 PM
adamle

I had a Sig Riser 100 with spoilers years ago. It kills the lift instantly. Make sure they deploy at the same rate. The Riser manual and plans would show how they are made. The Riser used a sting attached to the spoiler and servo arm. This allowed it to keep the servo in the fuse. But with today's small servos I'd put it in the wing. Maybe one for each side.

A more entertaining option might be flaps. The Butterfly could land vertical or even backwards in a breeze.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:04 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Electric spoilers are becoming pretty common on gliders, just plug them into the rx and mount them in the wing.

There's a link to an inexpensive set if you want to tinker
Are they proportional or just all up or all down? The note about limit switches makes me think they are "digital" i.e. all up or all down.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:07 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

The ones I have from E-Flite are proportional, I assume these to be the same.