Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Cheap electric glow fuel pump

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Cheap electric glow fuel pump

Old 05-28-2014, 07:35 AM
bikerbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap electric glow fuel pump

I went to the auto wreckers and did a little searching around in the wrecked cars until I found a windshield washer reservoir with a pump in it . It holds close to 1/2 a gallon and runs on 12 volts .The one I found is close to being square but they are all different shapes. I had to silicone on a lid that doesn't leak . I hooked it up to the battery in my field box and it pumped my fuel for about 5 years . I finally had to replace it this spring . I just used the old reservoir with a new pump .. I guess the point is that windshield washer pumps will work as fuel pumps if we can find one kicking around ..
Old 05-31-2014, 06:47 PM
mustangman177

I use one something like this on my plane as well to pump smoke oil into the muffler. runs off of a 4.8 volt 1000 maH battery pack

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ier=69770_0_0_
Old 07-01-2014, 05:28 AM
RACE 66

Yep ! Sounds very cool that you were able to do this. And 5 years of good use can't go wrong. Let me throw a little curve in the mix. Just a thought though. Many motors if not designed for it, create sparks from their brushes. I would think the windshield washer motors aren't built with suppression of these sparks.(though they could be, as they could throw out "radio interference" on your AM/FM radio or other componets in the car.) Maybe I am being to picky, could it be that you could ignite your "spilled" fuel from fueling operations while having the motor running?
Anyone else could chime in and help clear the air please would be appreciated.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:16 AM
bolar
My Feedback: (5)

I've have had the unfortunate opportunity lately to look into two fail fuel pumps, one a Hobbico I've had for about ten years the second a Sullivan which lasted about three trips to the field. They are no different than a washer pump and use brushed motors. Both of mine failed with the actual pump and developed a leak where the two halves are sealed. The Sullivan had the worst leak and filled my field box with fuel before I noticed the problem (what a mess). Taking apart both the cases, they were filled with fuel and the motors were completely covered in fuel. I'm not sure why there was not a fire, perhaps there was not enough oxygen inside the cases to burn? The cost of the Hobbico is close to the Autozone pump so it is a toss up on which you chose. I am curious how long a washer pump would last pumping our fuel.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:36 AM
mustangman177

If your Hobbico fuel pump lasted 10 years, you got your money out of it !!! The Sullivan didn't fair as well if only lasted 3 trips to the field. Try another Hobbico--10 years is a good track record.

I've done away with the electric fuel pumps, and use the hand crank fuel pumps---specifically Dubro's. Make for a lighter field box.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXJGS5

Can pump both glow and gas. Have one going on 6-7 years and still working.

Don't know if a standard windshield washer pump would handle glow fuel or not.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:21 AM
aspeed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't most windshield washer fluid methanol based? Should be OK. I still use the old rubber fuel bulb, because of two bad electric ones that never worked right. I guess I am old school too.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:34 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been flyng for over 40 years and have tried it all when it comes to fueling my planes. Electric pumps, manual pumps, Dave Brown manual pump, and fuel bulbs. In my opinion the simplest, most reliable way to get fuel into a tank is a syringe. The syringe is also very useful for trouble shooting fuel system problems. They come in several sizes from 5 oz down to 1 oz and even smaller.

They never break, leak, or require charging, plus you can see exactly how much fuel you put in OR draw out.

What's not to like?

Available from Sig.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	2013581  

Last edited by 049flyer; 07-13-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:15 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

I have a Slimline Boxer pump that has been working for 10 years, nuff said :-)
Old 09-10-2014, 11:45 AM
swify

I use a windshield washer pump that I bought from an auto supply store for my fuel. It has been running for 4 years without any issues.