Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

How to Repair Cowl

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

How to Repair Cowl

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 01:40 PM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Repair Cowl

I got some cracks in my cowl, it actually looks like just the paint is chipping. Structurally it is fine. What is the neatest, least obvious way to fix it. Getting some CA under it would be quick except, but the CA would run down the side of the cowl. Don't ask how it happened, but it didn't happen in the air.

Chuck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cracks.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	2032719  
Old 09-16-2014, 03:33 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Well the actual problem is with the materials used to make the cowl. I'm going to assume this is an Asian built ARF simply because I have seen this many times. Most ARF factories are using polyester resin to make their parts. Its cheaper and faster then epoxy. They prep the mold, spray in a gel coat and then do the lay up. The part comes out with a nice white surface that accepts paint well with minimal prep. The problem arises when the gel coat is allowed to dry for too long and then the fiberglass layup does not bond to it very well. The result is what you see. I'm betting that if you are able to pull that chip off far enough, it is raw fiberglass underneath and the inside of the finish is white. Two options, keep repairing the cracks with thin CA or sand down to raw fiberglass, prime and repaint.