Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Need help with home made smoke system.

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Need help with home made smoke system.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 07:16 AM
bonanzadrv
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with home made smoke system.

I am building a home made smoke system... I know a few have done this before with good results...
i have a windshield pump from an auto parts store and then plan to use a small 2 or 3 amp brushed speed control to operate it...

thats is all good but .....I am a bit confused on how to power the rx. I can plug a batt into the speed control which would power the rx... But I don't want all the power dependent on a small cheap speed control...

i could use two batteries one for smoke pump and one for rec... But I really don't have the room or weight..

now ow I am thinking of some kind of y connection to plug into rec. and speed control..

what would you guys do?????

thanks for any input
Bill
Old 11-27-2014, 07:22 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Are you using a 2 or 4 stroke motor?
Old 11-27-2014, 08:39 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I assume you're using a 3s pack to power 12 volt pump motor, if so I'd use an external BEC to power the RX, not the one built into the ESC,
such as this http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSWL3&P=ML

Then "Y" off the 3s pack, one lead to the pump motor ESC, one to the RX BEC

Problem??, yes you have 2 different voltage sources going to your RX, you'll want to cut the "+" lead that goes from the pump ESC to the RX (the ESC control wire), all you need is the ground and the signal wire anyway

good luck
Old 11-27-2014, 09:00 AM
bonanzadrv
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys.....
It is a 52cc gas motor

Scale why would I need the bec for the rx??? Couldn't I just go direct to the rx?
I was planning on using a life battery... This is a mod to an old airframe and I didn't want to mess with a regulator or switching to hv servos......that's why I am thinking a123

should be a good smoke system and all under 30 bucks...
Bill

Last edited by bonanzadrv; 11-27-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:21 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I have had more than a few smoke systems and I did try a washer pump. Terrible idea it may have just been the pump I chose but their made to handle alcohol not petroleum based liquids. It didn’t take long for the pump to crap out and there was smoke oil all over inside the plane. Dedicated smoke pumps have the proper seals and materials in their design.

The simplest smoke system and it works great is just pressurizing the smoke fluid tank with crankcase pressure and using a servo actuated on/off valve to control the smoke fluid to the tank.

You will need to add a pressure tap to the crankcase if there is none; the back plate is the easiest place.

A smoke tank with 3 outlets basically two vents one pickup/feed. One vent is connected to the pressure tap with an inline one way valve its direction is from motor to tank. The second vent is a pressure relief plugged/capped when in use, opened to allow filling and to bleed off the pressure and allow air in to empty the tank at the end of the day. The feed line goes from the clunk pickup to the smoke jet/orifice in the muffler. An inline off on valve servo controlled turns the smoke on or off. This servo is easily slaved to the throttle channel so the smoke can be cut off at low throttle.

I use fiberglass re-enforced tape to completely wrap my smoke tank to insure against possible splitting from the pressure. I have never had one leak or split.

No pump no extra battery pack to worry about.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:15 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by bonanzadrv
Thanks guys.....
It is a 52cc gas motor

Scale why would I need the bec for the rx??? Couldn't I just go direct to the rx?
I was planning on using a life battery... This is a mod to an old airframe and I didn't want to mess with a regulator or switching to hv servos......that's why I am thinking a123

should be a good smoke system and all under 30 bucks...
Bill
LIke I said, I assumed you were running a 3s lipo for the pump.

I guess if you're using the 6.6 pack, you don't need a BEC,
but I'd be worried using a 12 volt motor on a 6.6 volt pack would drain the A123 pack to fast. I'd run a separate pack under that scenerio

good luck