Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Anyone using UV activated resins for aircraft building ?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Anyone using UV activated resins for aircraft building ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 10:54 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Anyone using UV activated resins for aircraft building ?

I was sitting on my butt watching an infomercial for some brand of 5 second repair miracle and wondered if it is feasible for what we do . Imagine assembling a structure and having the capability to cure the resin when you want instead of whenever it wants to. Imagine no more CA fumes in your eyes or lungs.
Is this stuff thin enough to penetrate wood ? I did a little research and found there are many brands , viscosity , etc and it can be purchased in reasonable
quantities.
Has anyone tried it for assembly of a plane?
What are your thoughts ?
Old 04-21-2016, 02:00 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I tested one kind on plexiglass and balsa. Not at all strong. Don't remember the specific brand, though, and didn't try it on other materials.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:22 PM
CK1

Al , thanks for the input
Old 04-23-2016, 12:59 PM
tunakuts3d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UV glue

I probably saw the same infomercial and was wondering the same thing. I googled UV glue and began reading.My conclusion so far is that it might have some very limited use's but I don't think it would work well or be suitable for construction .The plastic (glue) only cures to a solid where the UV light can reach it, so you would end up with a hardened fillet but any resin between the pcs probably wouldn't cure as no UV light could reach it. Possibly might have some use for small scale details but offhand I haven't thought of any. maybe rivets or simulated welds.

Last edited by tunakuts3d; 04-23-2016 at 01:00 PM. Reason: spellig
Old 04-23-2016, 01:13 PM
CK1

I did find there are some types of this stuff that once the UV is applied the curing process will continue through to areas that the UV was unable to reach. There are also types that cure by both UV and heat .
I think using this stuff for rivet details and other small detail work could be interesting .
Old 04-23-2016, 08:05 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

CK1, I believe (and have NO proof) that some of the ARF's are using this type of glue (UV and heat) to assemble their aircraft....but that is just a guess on my part.