Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Is "crazy glue", or "super glue"  the same as LHS (BSI) CA? >

Is "crazy glue", or "super glue" the same as LHS (BSI) CA?

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Is "crazy glue", or "super glue" the same as LHS (BSI) CA?

Old 09-04-2016, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is "crazy glue", or "super glue" the same as LHS (BSI) CA?

What is CA? I look up CA and it says that it is marketed under different names such as above. Can I use this for gluing wood together on a build? This is going to be all wood and I don't really want to use wood glue (carpenters glue) to keep the weight down. This is my first build so I don't really have a clue what works or doesn't work. And CA from the LHS is pretty pricey but from the dollar store quite reasonable.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, Rickity. Welcome to the "dark side". The adhesives you will use is super critical. I use several types of glues, depending on the application. It would help me help you a great deal if you could tell me what you are building as this will have a significant impact on your choice of glues to use. Suffice it to say you don't want to skimp on the quality of the glues you use, for obvious reasons. So, any way, whatcha buildin'? "Bashing balsa since 1979."
Old 09-05-2016, 02:27 AM

I am building a 90" wingspan Granger Archaeoptreyx. There was only 1 ever built in 1930 I think. Very unique, and presenting a lot of hard thinking (parts of the plan are very sketchy). I have a friend who has built from scratch so he is indispensable with his knowledge. He recommended wood glue for most of the assembly but I would like to use CA (liberally if the price is right) to keep the weight down. I did a test a few years ago (not with models), comparing Crazy Glue to dollar store glue and found they stick the same. Now I am just wondering if CA from the hobby store (BSI etc.) is the same as CA in Crazy Glue.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:34 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Purity and viscosity are what you want in CA glues and you won't get that in dollar store type glues. You will in the hobby-grade glues. Also some of the cheap glues just don't set well and can be very brittle. You do get what you pay for .
Some parts of the plane like firewalls and some bulkheads are better glued with epoxy or high-grade wood glue. Medium CA for most everything else, thin CA for strengthening sheeting or priming , and thick CA for areas with larger gaps.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:48 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The "crazy glue" or "super glue" you get in the drug store or dollar store is CA, but CA glues differ a lot in quality, as well as in characteristics like thickness. Your LHS probably sells both thin and gap-filling CAs. Thin is for joints where the wood is pressed tightly together and for installing CA hinges. Gap-filling lets you attach pieces that fit together a bit less than perfectly. Using dollar-store CA on a model could be very dangerous. I have used Loctite super glues, which I get at hardware stores, and haven't had a problem, but I haven't used it much so this isn't an endorsement. Even with Hobby Shop CA, brands can matter. I use Bob Smith (which hobby shops sell with their own store labels, so "Bob Smith" appears only in very small print). Some other brands require the use of an accelerator to set up; with Bob Smith you can use an accelerator for fast setting but you don't have to.

Carpenter's glue is fine for building and won't add a lot of weight. And it sands much better than CA (with CA it's important to sand as soon as it sets up. If you wait an hour or so it gets rock hard). Some modelers use carpenter's glue exclusively except for things requiring great strength, like firewalls, where you'd usually use epoxy.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rickity
I did a test a few years ago (not with models), comparing Crazy Glue to dollar store glue and found they stick the same. Now I am just wondering if CA from the hobby store (BSI etc.) is the same as CA in Crazy Glue.
My experience it isn't the same.

Mike