Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
How to repair dents in EPO foam >

How to repair dents in EPO foam

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

How to repair dents in EPO foam

Old 11-05-2016, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to repair dents in EPO foam

I have a Dynam Pitts (EPO foam) that I sprayed with multiple coats of clear acrylic.
It makes a nice, more durable finish, but it dents quite easily.
Does anybody have a good idea on how to "repair" the dents?
Somewhere I think I saw a recommendation that applying a hot towel (wet maybe) would lift the dents.
Any ideas??
Old 11-06-2016, 06:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wet paper towel and a monocoat or other hot iron. You will hear the water sizzle as the iron is applied. Don't leave the iron on too long as you could melt the foam. Safe is when you stop hearing the sizzle remove the iron. Actually remove the iron before the sizzle stops The steam penetrates the dented foam and "blows" up the dents.

Ken
Old 11-06-2016, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Ken
I guess that was the technique I had heard about.
Do you think it will work after I sprayed a few coats of acrylic clear on the foam?
Old 11-07-2016, 03:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dksnyder
Thanks, Ken
I guess that was the technique I had heard about.
Do you think it will work after I sprayed a few coats of acrylic clear on the foam?
'

If you already have the foam sealed, the water/steam will have trouble penetrating into the foam. If it does somehow penetrate, the steam will destroy the clear coat.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCrump
'

If you already have the foam sealed, the water/steam will have trouble penetrating into the foam. If it does somehow penetrate, the steam will destroy the clear coat.

Ya what Tom says. On my DLG that has light fiberglass and very little epoxy in the glass it works fine. If you have some foam scraps round you could prep them in the same manner as you plane and then experiment a bit to see what happens.

Ken