Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Balsa repair

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Balsa repair

Old 06-08-2018, 06:41 PM
BullardRM
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsa repair

Unfortunately I have a dent, quite large(4X2 in) dent in my wing. The wing has been covered and the damaged area is in the middle, top of the wing. I was wondering if I can inject some water through the covering and apply heat to see if it will de-compress. My concern is, will it rise too much. Any experience, or suggestions on this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:43 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

If the wood is just dented (compressed) water and heat work well. I use a hypodermic needle. Depending on how sever the dent is I'll let it soak overnight, and then use a covering iron on it. The idea is to steam the wood. If the wood is crushed, and broken, you may have to cut it out, and repair with new wood. I get my hypodermic needles from Tractor Supply. Sometimes I'll cut the covering, and pull it back. I'll then place a damp rag, or paper towel over the dent, and apply the iron. You can then pull the covering back, and with some small patches cover the slices.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:11 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Bullard, also if you have to cut into the wing and open to fix.. just try to work something new into the covering design over the repair if it will be hard to HIDE. Maybe a star or colored shape ..on one or both wings. I used to do a bit of custom painting, and sometimes it was easier to add a new design element than blend/hide a damaged area.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:48 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

If the dent won't come out you can also fill it with plasterboard spackle or Durham's Wood paste
Old 06-12-2018, 11:47 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If you are going to use water, put a small amount of ammonia in it.