Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Cutting Wing Rib Servo Wire Holes

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Cutting Wing Rib Servo Wire Holes

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 09:29 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Cutting Wing Rib Servo Wire Holes

After the build.

This, how to, question has been asked before. In my case I build the airplane, then do a CG check for servo n equipment placement. Then I cut the holes. Thought I’d post how I do it. First you make your tool,a sharpened tube with kerfs cut in the sharpened end. Then I use masking tape to tape the non cutting end for padding for my thumb. Locking pliers to hold the tube.

I use a straight edge to mark the run on top of the ribs. I measure how far down I want the hole. I hold the tube against the rib with my thumb and hold the rib with my fingers or a piece of plywood against the rib. With my other hand I rotate the pliers back and forth. Thumb controls the pressure against the rib and also alignment. It takes less than a minute to cut a hole. A paper tube can be added if desired.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:20 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought one a Toledo one year which was a bit small do I made another larger.. They are both made from brass tubing with kerfs cut into them at angles and then mounted to a short dowel.
I cut my holes before building but sometime you end up having to after the fact such as the BUSA bristol M-1 I bought that didn't have holes for the servo leads and.... I have to remove some of the bottom covering to do so.
Nice clean holes by the way.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:54 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use an aluminum arrow shaft that has been sharpened and toothed on one end. I just stat at the outer most rib and drill all of them right away. this works well for making linkage ways in a wing for single servo aileron control applications as well. you can drill one hole then drill another by guiding the cutter to make the hole wide enough for the servo arm's travel by connecting the two holes with your exacto knife. it's always easier to get those holes made while the ribs are laying flat on the building table, but sometimes we forget !.