Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Easy to make Wire Bender

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Easy to make Wire Bender

Old 10-20-2018, 01:43 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Easy to make Wire Bender

I saw this on a UK model site. I liked it so I made one from an old bolt and nut. I have a nice bender I made but this one is easy to store and easy to use for those quick bends that pop up. Use a wrench to make the bend. In my case a 15/16”. I’m making mine for a 5/32” wire. With a spacer or two you can bend 1/16 and 3/32” wire. Mine is not as nice as in the video but if it works it is good. Video to follow if I can get the link.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:45 PM
ETpilot

Old 10-31-2018, 01:45 PM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks very much for sharing; yours doesn't appear to have the final cuts to the shank shown in the video.

Are those cuts necessary for some applications?
Old 10-31-2018, 02:48 PM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they show it bending the shank of a nail,....nails are made with garbage mild steel wire. I would like to see how it handles some 1/8 inch piano wire. I have a feeling piano wire might sheer the ears off the bolt that wire sits in.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:09 PM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by H5606
Thanks very much for sharing; yours doesn't appear to have the final cuts to the shank shown in the video.

Are those cuts necessary for some applications?
I left it like that so that piece is stronger. You can angle that cut so it goes a bit over 90* to allow for spring back of the wire. I made this rather quick to see how it works. I haven’t tested it in an actual application.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:18 PM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by r ward
they show it bending the shank of a nail,....nails are made with garbage mild steel wire. I would like to see how it handles some 1/8 inch piano wire. I have a feeling piano wire might sheer the ears off the bolt that wire sits in.
I haven’t tested it yet on piano wire. I couldn’t find a scrap piece. Will do a test. The bolt I used is a grade 5 so stronger than a plain bolt. I made a better bender that I use. This one would be for those quick bend jobs that appear. Easy to store n set up. Will post on test.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:23 PM
ETpilot

Well the test is done. It handled ⅛” music wire easily. The bend didn’t quite make it to 90*. You do have to have your vice anchored pretty good. I made 2 of the small hooks out of 3/32” music wire. See my next post.

I’m sure this bender will handle 5/32” wire. My plan is to make another, better quality, for 5/32” wire. Then with spacers I can use it for ⅛”, 3/32” and 1/16” wire.

You do have to make your triangle piece so it provides a bend beyond 90*. Also, you need to soften the right angle point so you have gentle bend radius.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:27 PM
ETpilot

The passenger door mirror on my Jeep broke off and was hanging by the power cable. The 2 springs and steel rod had rusted away. I couldn’t find the replacement springs. So I use a long spring from Tractor Supply. I cut it to make 2 springs. I used ⅛” music wire for the holding rod and the 3/32” hook to make the connection. Mirror good as new now.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:43 AM
r ward

awesome,.... I am happy to see that it handled the piano wire well !. ( I was not being a "Doubting Thomas", I just know that 1/8 inch piano wire is tough and it is used quite a lot in our hobby) I can see where it would be better to radius ( or maybe just chamfer) that inside corner on the bolt. it will also make a nicer looking bend when that sharp point is gone..
Old 11-05-2018, 02:11 PM
ETpilot

Yes, piano wire is super tough. But the bender handled it easily. I may have a larger bolt for the next one. It is easy to set up and use. So it may be worth it to make one.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:10 AM
r ward

i'll agree with that,....quick and easy to make a decent looking bend or two when you need it on some small piece. if you can get a decent looking bend on 1/8 piano wire, you're doing good !. so many times one side of the bend looks good and the other is a rounded looking affair that screams "bent with pliers".