Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Flaps for Hangar 9 F4U Corsair 60 size

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Flaps for Hangar 9 F4U Corsair 60 size

Old 12-20-2019, 06:31 PM
Eagle555

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flaps for Hangar 9 F4U Corsair 60 size

Hi. I purchased a Hangar 9 F4U Corsair 60 size several year ago and didn't realize it didn't have flaps. I like flaps for looks and flying.
Questions: Does anyone know how I can take the wing and modify it for flaps? I am not a skilled builder that prefers to fly than build but any help would be great with pictures.

Many thanks,

Ron
Old 12-22-2019, 03:50 PM
carlgrover

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're not a skilled builder you should just fly it like it is. Corsair flaps are a 3 piece arrangement that goes along the gull section of the wing. I did a set many years ago for a 1/4 scale Corsair and they were not real fun to do. Find a set of plans online of a scale corsair (any size will do) and you will see what I'm talking about.

carl
Old 12-28-2019, 07:45 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My advice - Get a Corsair that already has flaps. I have had Corsairs both with and without flaps. Flaps really aren't needed for good flight and landing characteristics. There are a lot of planes out there that would be easier to retrofit flaps to than a Corsair!
Old 01-10-2020, 08:01 AM
jester_s1

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

All it really requires is cutting them out of the wing, adding leading and trailing edges that can accept hinges (requires removing the right amount of wood), then hinging and building a servo mount. It'll add some weight to the plane though.