Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Relatively new to the hobby.

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Relatively new to the hobby.

Old 12-23-2020, 10:41 PM
Mbrunhoeber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relatively new to the hobby.

Hello all! I hope you don't mind a newcomer making balsa dust now and then. I'm 43, living on a farm in Kansas, repair freight locomotives and just got a 1940 Aeronca Chief back in the skies. My kids and I enjoy spending what spare time we get building model airplanes. My house is literally like a hangar, says my wife!
I have built a number of models from scratch, like the Nelitz third scale Cub, and a Chuck Hollinger Champ. I'm not super experienced with the RC side (I'm used to a yoke ha ha!) but I did get the drawings for the 88 inch version of the Smith Miniplane. Would anyone have a good recommendation as to engine for this build? I think Christmas is a good time to build another, what do you think?
Old 12-24-2020, 05:26 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (53)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Love guys who make balsa dust! Few and far between now a days.

The best gas engines on the market are Desert Aircraft. For that size of a bipe, a DA-100cc and maybe even a DA-150cc. I had a 38% Christian Eagle with a DA-100. I've owned several of their 50cc, 100cc, 150cc, and 170cc. They have a great warranty, thus the cost. But if you wreck the engine, DA will repair it for the cost of parts. Other companies charge labor.

Another neat engine is the EME with electric start. A buddy has one, and it's neat to watch it start. But, this can be dangerous to bodily harm if not cautious. The engine seems to run very well.

DLE is a down scale medium quality engine. Most run well. I've never owned one, but have helped students with them. They will bite you on start, where a properly set up DA never will.

Stay away from any of the other alphabet engines.

Just be aware that the plane needs to stay under 55#. It can go over, but it then has to have an inspection prior to flight.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:40 AM
Mbrunhoeber

Thank you for that info. I haven't cut the first piece of wood just yet. I like to know what engine I should "build for" so to speak.
A little different subject, my daughter is getting a Sig Rascal to build. She's12 and does very good work with the balsa and tissue airplanes, so now she's ready for a little bigger one.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:48 AM
RCFlyerDan

That's great that you're encouraging your daughter to get into rc. Could lead to a full time career as a pilot. She's old enough, and probably will be out flying your skills in her mid teens. I built a Falcon 56 at 10-11, without my Father's help. He worked too much.
For flight instruction, consider a teacher at an AMA club field. I've taught Father/son combos. If the father tries to teach, it usually doesn't end well with the kid quitting. I make the father sit on the bench, while I have the kid on the buddy box. Otherwise, it isn't a conducive training environment. The kid is trying to listen to the instructor, yet please the dad who always has something to say. It's like training in full scale with an instructor. They normally don't let family ride along until cross county. A kid normally has more respect and will listen to an instructor, and get upset with the parent. I've done a lot of instruction. Retired ATP, with CFII/MEI. This is all just IMHO and from my experience.
Old 12-24-2020, 12:40 PM
Mbrunhoeber

Yes, you're so right. My kids rode in the back seat of the Skyhawk we used to get my PPL. They were quiet once the excitement calmed a little. My wife is a horse trainer, and has the same delimma with kid and parents interacting as you mentioned before.
Back to airplanes, I am also looking for a 1/3 scale Sig Spacewalker kit too. Sig said it could be a little while before certain kits are ready due to their balsa supply coming in late. I know, a lot to take on at once, but we're quite addicted!
Old 12-24-2020, 01:00 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

In this case, ADDICTION IS A GOOD THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have to agree with everything Dan has said, except for the engine information. The reason I can't agree with that is I've not had the chance to fly anything using one, meaning he knows more than I do on the subject. I do have one request of you, however. Could you post some pictures of your family's progress on the planes as I'd love to see how it goes. I'm sure others would too.
In the mean time Happy Holidays and Happy Building
Old 12-24-2020, 01:08 PM
RCFlyerDan

Try this:

Search Results : Laser Design Services

Old 12-24-2020, 01:46 PM
Mbrunhoeber

Thank you guys. I will look into that laser cutting idea. It's amazing what we can do these days. Especially when I look at our1939 Goldberg sail plane kit!
And yes, I will share pictures of our airplanes and projects. We're also carrying on my wife's grandpa's legacy - he was a pilot, lifetime EAA and built a bunch of model airplanes. We have been fortunate enough to be able to preserve some of them.
Best wishes and happy holidays to all!
Old 12-25-2020, 02:01 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

I'd do some research on the expected weight of the aircraft before selecting an engine. The BUSA 44" weighs 5.25 lbs and an 88" plan on eBay states 15 -20 lbs and calls for a G26 or G38. I flew my 35%, 30+ lb Extra on a DA-100. I would suspect you'll be way over-powered with a 100cc.
Old 12-25-2020, 07:30 PM
Mbrunhoeber

Yeah I've been trying to find as much as I can about the 88 inch Miniplane. Not a whole lot out there. There's a video of one being restored on YouTube. Notes at the end said flying weight (dry) 30.1 lbs. He took out the G38 and put in a new DLE60 twin. I've got a little time, just cutting out patterns right now. The plans I have are likely the same used to build the model in the video, best I can tell from pausing it now and then.
I was able to save a Sig Mini from being thrown out earlier in the year. Someone in our town was moving and didn't want it. Glad they called. The little fella is all fixed up and looks almost as good as the one on the website!
I appreciate everyone's help.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:56 AM
RCFlyerDan

I have done some bird dogging on this project for my own curiosity. Everything is IMHO. I have a feeling that the plans for the 88" version was designed by Harold Osbourne in 1979. I couldn't find any plans to actually look at the build design. If 1979, it's an old building design and techniques. So, heavy, and always built heavier then advertised by the average builder. There weren't gas engines that I know of at that time. I quit flying glow rc in '78- '79 to pursue full scale. At our field, there was only glow, and the hobby shop owner always had the latest at the field. So if there was gas, he would have had it. I'm sure that the original design was for a glow engine, and Zenoah was added sometime at a later date. Because Zenoahs were magneto at that time, they are heavy. Somehow, or someone added to the plans G26-G38 to keep it lighter and scale. May even have to do with cowling and cutouts. A TG scale builder buddy of mine will build a heavy scale plane, and under-power it, because the engine fits within the cowling with minimal holes. It probably should have had a G-62, but the cylinder stuck out too far. Thus the G38. Just a SWAG.
I also looked at the specs on the 38% Christian Eagle, with it's wing span coming in at 87". Yes, the DA100 made it a fun plane, but with two long wings at 87" or 88" for the Smith, along with adding Cobain struts and cross wires on both wings, along with the horizontal and vertical stabs. This equals a lot of drag. Far more then a sleeker Extra.
Then, on YouTube, I'm sure that you have seen this video. He claims it is 1/2 scale at 108" ws, unless a typo. Claims it weighs 39# with a Quadra 75. Another boat anchor. He doesn't do anything but fly scale in circles. No loops or rolls, unless I missed them. 108" is a lot bigger then 88", but the plane is powered for scale. For the 88", again IMHO, I wouldn't go less then a DA-70 twin cylinder. The 100 for a hot rod.
[img]blob:https://www.rcuniverse.com/156d96cc-4af2-4553-9d8f-0d65758298ad[/img]

Stay Safe! Stay Well! Dan
Old 12-27-2020, 09:22 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

If that was a maiden, I would have probably flown it the same way. IF, however, it wasn't, that says he was flying a heavy plane and was afraid of breaking the wings
Old 12-28-2020, 09:29 PM
Mbrunhoeber

Thank you guys for the input. That's one of the reasons I enjoy this hobby - so many possibilities, and lots of folks to help you out. And still enough room for a little artistic license!
I did do some searching online for new and used larger engines. Lots out there. I will take your advice as to what makes to choose from.
I haven't seen that half scale Miniplane video before, just the 42% one. It was a restoration slide show, no flying.
Also, my plans are copied from fairly old drawings. Some writing is hard to make out, but thankfully I've done some full scale wooden airplanes, so I can usually come up with a safe solution if something isn't clearly shown.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:44 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

A club member back in Ca has one of the 88" versions. It is covered in silk and painted. If memory serves me correctly it weighs 38lbs and is powered by a 3W 120. He flies the snot out of it, loops, rolls, Cubans and very scale like snap rolls. Keep in mind that the old 3W 120 and the DA 100 are on par with one another power wise. The DA may actually have a slight advantage. The problem may be the lighter weight of the newer engines. Keep in mind that there are two versions of the DA 100 out there. The current version being almost a 1/2 pound lighter then the first model. The DA 70 is extremely light and would certainly require some lead in the nose.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:18 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mbrunhoeber View Post
Yeah I've been trying to find as much as I can about the 88 inch Miniplane. Not a whole lot out there. There's a video of one being restored on YouTube. Notes at the end said flying weight (dry) 30.1 lbs. He took out the G38 and put in a new DLE60 twin. I've got a little time, just cutting out patterns right now. The plans I have are likely the same used to build the model in the video, best I can tell from pausing it now and then.
I was able to save a Sig Mini from being thrown out earlier in the year. Someone in our town was moving and didn't want it. Glad they called. The little fella is all fixed up and looks almost as good as the one on the website!
I appreciate everyone's help.
My first choice would be a DA-100, but I am partial to multi-cylinder engines when models approach this size. If you want to keep it simple in front of the firewall and don't want to have to cut the cowl for plug clearance, my second choice would be a DA-85. DA-85 single has proven to provide similar/adequate power to the 100 twin for 35% 3D models.

Astro
Old 01-03-2021, 09:31 PM
Mbrunhoeber

Very helpful information. Thank you guys. Getting ready to make up a jig to make my fuselage sides.
So that will give me something to build for.