Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Ultrakote over Monokote with compound curves?

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Ultrakote over Monokote with compound curves?

Old 01-14-2004, 01:21 AM
ArayRC
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultrakote over Monokote with compound curves?

I have an Aeromaster fuselage that is completely covered with white super monokote. I would like to cover about 1/3 of it with red ultrakote. Also the airplane has silkspan underneath the white super monokote. The monokote is stuck to the silkspan surface very good so I do not think it will ever sag. Will the red Ultrakote work on the monokote fuselage even around compound curves like the stringer section on the fuselage? I don't want any air bubbles. I was thinking Ultrakote would work best because it will stick and shrink at a lower temp than monokote. Should I have to worry about air bubbles, etc? I was thinking some pin holes in the monokote in the areas to be covered might give me the best results.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:34 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Ultrakote over Monokote with compound curves?

It will work fine, but bubbles will be a problem regardless of what type of covering you use. This can be kept to a minimum by (Like you said) filling the underlying layer with holes. But it's going to take a LOT of holes. If it's a large area, I would just remove the underlying layer, just leave about 3/8" - 1/2" of overlap.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:11 AM
MustangFan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ultrakote over Monokote with compound curves?

Just a thought:

The Wood Pecker tool from GP will help with the hole making.