Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

CA SAFETY CAUTION

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

CA SAFETY CAUTION

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 04:13 PM
spirit pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA SAFETY CAUTION

Hopefully this is a no-brainer for everyone else, but I think it warrants mentioning.

Last night while working on my kit, I very nearly blinded my right eye!

I had just finished "ca'ing" some parts together. Wanting to clear the nozzle of remaining ca so it wouldn't clog, I tapped the bottle on the work bench to knock any left over glue down from the tip, and then squeezed the bottle. A stream of glue shot up from the bottle, impacting me high on the forehead! Had the bottle been at a slightly different angle, the ca would have shot directly
into my right eye, with results I don't like to think about. From now on, I'm wearing glasses when I work on my kits, and am going to be very carefull about the direction the ca nozzle is pointing when I'm clearing the tip!!!
Old 03-01-2004, 04:29 PM
CafeenMan

Default RE: CA SAFETY CAUTION

Carpenter's glue is safe for your eyes.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:54 PM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CA is very unforgiving. Unknowingly had a drop on my fingernail and scratched my
lower lip and almost glued my lips together. The biggest problem I have is opening
a new bottle. Sometimes it will squirt out when you cut the tip. Always point the bottle
away from anything inportant.

tommy s
Old 03-01-2004, 10:45 PM
rockom
My Feedback: (2)

My wife knows a girl that glued her eye shut. She though she had a bottle of eye drops but it was in fact CA. The optometrist said he deals with at least two people per year who make that mistake. She was fine. They gave her shots of novocain around the eye. Shaved the lashes, separated the lids, and removed the CA spec by spec with tweazers. I guess some was on the eyeball. She looked real bad for a couple weeks but healed with no permanent damage.

-Rocko
Old 03-02-2004, 06:03 AM
Born to Fly

Good advice. Safety should not be taken for granted.
In fact, I would think that since kit builders are handling extremely sharp and dangerous tools, a First Aid Box inside the workshop would be a requirement.

Some other safety tips:
If blade #11 is rusty, throw.
If the thin CA glue doesn't flow, don't squeeze, cut the tip, applying more pressure will give the squirting danger.
Replace the Cap onto any hobby knife.
If CA is used, ensure good ventilation.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:19 AM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: Born to Fly
If blade #11 is rusty, throw.
Or dull. Dull blades are dangerous. Wrap blades in tape before tossing them away so nobody who handles the garbage finds the blade sticking in their leg.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:06 AM
vicar

What I do with the used blades is to put them in a butter tub with a small slit on the top. Any time I have any excess glue, mostly epoxy, I pour it on top of the blades. When the container is full I throw it in the trash. The blades are held together by the glue and inside the container so they do not harm any one.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:51 PM
msu68stang
My Feedback: (7)

NEVER EVER sit on a hobby knife.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:21 PM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

NEVER EVER sit on a hobby knife.

OUCH!!!!!!!! won't ask
Old 03-02-2004, 05:53 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tommy s

CA is very unforgiving. Unknowingly had a drop on my fingernail and scratched my
lower lip and almost glued my lips together.
tommy s
Is it just me, or did anyone else git a good chuckle outta dat? Sorry Tommy, not meaning to laugh at you, I guess I just got a "visual".

I always hold a rag at the tip, when clearing it. I also wipe it down so the next time I need to take the cap off, I don't have to twist it with my 18" Channel Locks, and never get the cap off, but succeed in reshaping the CA bottle beyond all recognition.

Gary
Old 03-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Flyboy Dave

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[/quote]
I also wipe it down so the next time I need to take the cap off, I don't have
to twist it with my 18" Channel Locks, and never get the cap off, but succeed
in reshaping the CA bottle beyond all recognition.

Gary
[/quote]

I thought I was the only one that twisted the tops off CA bottles with a pipe
wrench, or vise grips.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:07 PM
DaveGell

From the material data sheet, found at [link]http://www.surlok.com/msds/1415.htm[/link]

EYE CONTACT: Cyanoacrylate adhesives are eye irritants and tissue bonders. Therefore, care, including the use of goggles, should be taken to prevent eye contact. In the event of eye contact, the eyes should be copiously flushed with water and medical aid sought immediately. If eyelids are bonded closed, only a qualified physician should attempt to separate them. In case of bonding corneal surface, forced separation is not recommended. Allow the eye to remain closed and the bond to separate naturally, which generally will occur within a few days.
Note the recommendation to avoid forced separation. In general CA glues slough off the skin, in time.

Pacer Technology has a first aid page at [link]http://www.pacertech.com/firstaid.htm[/link]. In that document, it states
It should never be necessary to surgically remove CA’s or to separate bonded skin using surgical techniques.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:33 PM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever notice how this crap always happens at 2 in the morning ???
I laughed too but not while it was happening.

tommy s
Old 03-02-2004, 11:05 PM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

I have been using the disposable CA squeeze bulbs from Dave Brown products for a couple years now. Allows me to keep most of my CA fresh in the bottle and the bulb lasts quite a long time if you keep cutting down the tip as it gets fouled.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:13 PM
jessiej

I read of one guy who spilled CA on his tile floor, then stepped in it. Whilw barefoot, and home alone.[X(]

jess
Old 03-02-2004, 11:53 PM
Flyboy Dave

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is something about that stuff that makes it bond instantly to skin. [X(]
Old 03-03-2004, 08:49 AM
rockom
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Flyboy Dave

There is something about that stuff that makes it bond instantly to skin. [X(]

My understanding is that CA was design as a surgical adhesive. Thats why it bonds to skin so well. It's used more so in Europe I guess. Instead of stiches you can push the skin together and drop some CA on it. By the time the wound heals together the CA wears off. I have used this many times for minor cuts.

-Rocko
Old 03-03-2004, 05:41 PM
timrob

I had heard that CA was originally invented in the ?Vietnam war on the battlefield instead of stitches. On late night (again the 2am thing) I put a very deep 2 inch gash in my hand down to the bone, blood everywhere. As I am allergic to injection pain, I decided to use the CA trick (yes I know it wasn't sterile, but I was desperate to stop the blood), so I poured a small bead of CA into the wound, and held it shut for a few seconds. I just washed all of the blood away, and it healed up really fast (I think probably faster than stitches). I couldn't believe it worked so well. I wouldn't recommend this to severe wounds, but it worked for me this time. I am probably lucky I didn't get an infection I suppose.

If only CA bonded other objects as well as it glues skin.

Tim.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:51 PM
GeraldRosebery
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: spirit pilot

Hopefully this is a no-brainer for everyone else, but I think it warrants mentioning.

Last night while working on my kit, I very nearly blinded my right eye!

I had just finished "ca'ing" some parts together. Wanting to clear the nozzle of remaining ca so it wouldn't clog, I tapped the bottle on the work bench to knock any left over glue down from the tip, and then squeezed the bottle. A stream of glue shot up from the bottle, impacting me high on the forehead! Had the bottle been at a slightly different angle, the ca would have shot directly
into my right eye, with results I don't like to think about. From now on, I'm wearing glasses when I work on my kits, and am going to be very carefull about the direction the ca nozzle is pointing when I'm clearing the tip!!!
I think that what this proves is that if you are in ANY workshop you should be wearing safety glasses. You only get one set of eyes.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:54 PM
mustango656

I think CA is naturally sterile.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:59 PM
iwannafly
My Feedback: (1)

well then, how do you explain so many little bottles running around out there?
Old 03-11-2004, 08:43 PM
saintcreed
My Feedback: (205)

Here is a tip for all of you...you know the small annoying cuts you get from paper, knives, razor blades etc. that are really sore and you can hardly touch them without pain....take your CA glue and put on the cut then hit it with kicker and presto no more pain....honest...the pain just goes away and the cut heals quickly....
Old 03-11-2004, 10:36 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: saintcreed

Here is a tip for all of you...you know the small annoying cuts you get from paper, knives, razor blades etc. that are really sore and you can hardly touch them without pain....take your CA glue and put on the cut then hit it with kicker and presto no more pain....honest...the pain just goes away and the cut heals quickly....
Are you a qualified surgeon ? LOL !
Old 03-30-2004, 02:25 PM
crashland 73
My Feedback: (24)

HA HA HA HEEE!
I just got that!!! LOL!

ORIGINAL: iwannafly

well then, how do you explain so many little bottles running around out there?
Old 03-30-2004, 10:39 PM
kdheath

I glued both hands into a fuselage that was soundly nailed to the work surface.....and home alone. A buddy of mine was working shirtless, spilled some CA on the bench and leaned forward, gluing his (ahem! sizeable) abdomen to the bench. And yet another who spilled the CA on his shop stool and sat down, bonding his &*%#% to the stool.[sm=crying.gif]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.