Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
trailing edges - vacuum bagged fiberglass wing >

trailing edges - vacuum bagged fiberglass wing

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

trailing edges - vacuum bagged fiberglass wing

Old 07-07-2002, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailing edges - vacuum bagged fiberglass wing

Hi!!

I'm trying to manufacture a vacuum bagged fiberglass wing, and I have a problem with getting good trailing edges. My foam core is sanded to a sharp point at the trailing edge. I wrap the core in 3 layers of 4oz fiberglass cloth, with ends of the cloth meeting at the trailing edge and extending by it by about an inch. The whole lay up is covered with the release cloth and breather bleeder, and vacuumed for 24 hours.
My problem arises when I try to trim the excess of fiberglass at the trailing edge. Sometimes the fiberglass lay up delaminates and I would have a gap in the trailing edge, which makes it weaker. Does anybody know how any good ways to prevent that from happening??

sz0pa148
Old 07-09-2002, 05:46 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailing edges - vacuum bagged fiberglass wing

How about gluing a piece of trailing edge stock to the foam and then laminate the whole thing. You will end up with a perfect trailing edge.