Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
covering/monokote >

covering/monokote

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

covering/monokote

Old 07-08-2002, 08:46 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default covering/monokote

Hi I will be covering the sides of a fuse. with red,white n blue.
If i start from the front of the fuse there will be seams facing the which may allow fuel to seep in..Any problems starting from the back of the fuse??..If so any suggestions on sealing the seam that face the front.

Thanks Dan
Old 07-08-2002, 09:03 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Always try to start from the back of the fuse. If you have to go the other way you could use trim solvent or either clear fingernail polish on the seam................John
Old 07-09-2002, 02:05 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very true! I'm not a MonoKote fan, but regardless of what covering you're going to use, ALWAYS start at the back and work your way forward.
Old 07-09-2002, 03:03 PM
My Feedback: (3)

what are the other options to monokote? is the process the same w/ the other coverings; regarding heat guns & stuff?
Old 07-09-2002, 06:02 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Well different people have different opinions. You use them all pretty much the same. I personally use monokote and I hate a heat gun...........John
Old 07-09-2002, 10:47 PM
My Feedback: (3)

oh.. ok.
Old 07-16-2002, 04:20 AM

I recently did up a multi-color monokote scheme on my second plane, a 4-star 60. It was actually a lot easier than I had thought (actually, dreaded would be a better word). See my gallery for pix.

I covered the wings first, because the lines on the fuse had to line up with the lines on the wings. Once they were covered, I taped some heavy cardstock to the fuse with masking tape and attached the wing. Matched up the lines on the wing and rough-sketched my lines on the cardstock templates on the fuse. Took the templates off the fuse and drew in the curves using various curved objects around the house. I then cut out the templates and used them to cut out the monokote, leaving some extra for under/overlap seams in the appropriate places. Use the templates again for positioning the pieces you cut, and iron them down.

I did my seams lightest to darkest color, so there is one seam on the fuse that I'll be keeping a close eye on, as it's pointing into the exhaust stream. No problems so far, but the plane's only been flying for a couple weeks. (and already has a little over 2 gallons of gas through it!)

If you have any more questions, feel free to pm or email me.

-Mike