Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
New Paint Type >

New Paint Type

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

New Paint Type

Old 07-10-2002, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Paint Type

In the last few days, I've seen a VW with a custom paint job that would be terrific for planes. When looking at the car from any angle you could see parts of the car as blue and other parts as purple, but when you changed angles, different parts were either blue or purple. Even when I was 2" from the paint, it would change before my eyes, depending on my angle of vision. Someone told me it was a very special paint that is aftermarket and very controlled. According to this person, a factory rep. is present when the paint is applied so there is no extra paint left for someone else to steal the recipe. It would be a killer finish for planes. Does anyone know anything about this?
Old 07-10-2002, 05:00 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Default New Paint Type

Sounds like a pearl paint to me. Did a few when I was painting custom cars on the side. It really is mind blowing if done right, subtle with some colors and mind blowing with others. The down side is, you can't duplicate it if you ding the paint, and yes I know from experience on that one.
Old 07-10-2002, 05:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Paint Type

It is color shifting paint. It is applied over black base coat. It is very expensive. I do not think it is guarded like the Stanley Cup though.
Flecks with different colored sides magnetically align themselves uniformly to reflect color spectrally.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:39 AM

Default New Paint Type

This is automotive paint. If you are thinking of using it apply for a second mortgage first.

Ed S
Old 07-10-2002, 10:35 AM

Default New Paint Type

I have seen this color shifting paint on a VW beetle. The paint job was over $10K.
Old 07-10-2002, 10:49 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Paint Type

Some NASCAR race cars have been painted with this stuff. It's from Dupont. I forget what the cost per pint was, but I remember choking on my iced tea.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:07 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Paint Type

Up here Endura (acrylic automotive) color change paint ranges between $500-$800 per quart.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:53 PM

Default Paint

Thanks for the information. This paint is something else to behold. Depending on shelf-life of the product or any special equipment needed, I could probably figure out how to justify the cost in my own mind (I'm good at justifying....at least to my wife). The repair problems could be a stopper however. I think we all get lulled into slapping a bunch of free or cheap stickers and decals on planes. This is so different, it is very interesting and the amount needed for a plane is so much less than a car. See I told you I could justify. Thanks again.
Old 07-10-2002, 02:30 PM

Default New Paint Type

I was close to getting some but they would not sell it in anything less than quarts, they do all other colors in pints.

Since a pint of the stuff will do about 20 airplanes (trim colors) a quart is waaaaaay to much, but its an investment right? There is that justification thing again 50 planes $500 thats only $10 per plane, CHEEAAAP!!!
Old 07-11-2002, 03:00 AM

Default New Paint Type

See, that justify'n stuff really works. From $800/qt. to $10/plane... I like that!
Old 07-11-2002, 04:46 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Default New Paint Type

There are places that sell that expensive stuff in small quantities. Try this one:

http://coastairbrush.com/pages/45.html

Also look into the acrylic's from Createx and others. Try this link:

http://www.createxcolors.com/product...ush_colors.htm

Much cheaper ($16 for 16oz), non-toxic, cleans up with water. Still has to be clearcoated to be fuel-proof, but so does the expensive stuff.
Old 07-11-2002, 01:03 PM
My Feedback: (23)

Default Krylon

This is what you're looking for:

http://www.krylon.com/product/mystique.asp

-Ben
Old 07-11-2002, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Krylon

Originally posted by Ben Diss
This is what you're looking for:

http://www.krylon.com/product/mystique.asp

-Ben
The aerosol stuff is not nearly the quality of an automotive paint, probably good enough for most people though.

Andy

The paint I use is fuel proof, primer, color, clear, it is really tough stuff, I have yet to see anything take it off or even mar the finish. It does cost though, a pint will run you from $20-$50 depending on the colors, plus thinner and catalyst. Its also very toxic.
Old 07-11-2002, 02:21 PM
My Feedback: (23)

Default New Paint Type

Chad,

I sounds like the stuff you're using is lacquer based? The Krylon paint is good, but not bullet proof like lacquer.

-Ben
Old 07-11-2002, 05:09 PM

Default New Paint Type

I always thought it was acrylic, but I could be wrong.

It is a 2 part paint/catalyst plus thinner to suit.

Its really easy stuff to use, has a 95% gloss without clear, but it is pretty nasty toxicity wise so you need to wear good respirators and gloves etc.

You can rub acetone on it all day and it doesnt do anything to it, if you have painted it on thick it can be real fun to remove if you need to repaint something
Old 07-15-2002, 06:11 PM

Default New Paint Type

Anyone here try "Nelson Hobby" paint..water-based
polyurethane..matches Monokote colors and some FS mil numbers also...~$9 per 1/2 pint ~19 per pint.
Ordered some last week, waiting for it to show up.
Heard that it's pretty good and water clean-up, can't beat that...