Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
What About Min-wax?? >

What About Min-wax??

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

What About Min-wax??

Old 07-20-2002, 12:39 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What About Min-wax??

I'm sure it's been pounded to death, but , I could'nt find much imfo about it.I have the high-gloss floor finish.
1.IS IT FUEL PROOF
2.WILL IT YELLOW
3.DOES IT DRY HARD ENOUGH TO SAND (dust up)
Any other helpful hint's are appreciated.
Thx Buz^
Old 07-20-2002, 12:41 PM

I'm sure it will do a good job if your plane was made out of hardwood flooring. What did you intend to polish with it?? If you want a good wax for painted surfaces use 3M products. You can purchase directly from them at www.3m.com they have an on-line store. Other than that use the minwax on your floors and furniture..keep it off the planes
Old 07-20-2002, 04:11 PM
My Feedback: (35)

Default min-wax

Buz..I have used the waterbased urathane for many years. I have not had mine yellow in the past 4 years. It can be used to attach fabric to airframes, used as a clearcoat, used to attach fiberglass to structures.
Again I use it cause its Cheap and it does an excellent job. You can get it at wally world at an excellent price.
1. yes it is fuel after it dries for a couple of days
2. Mine has not yellowed to date.
3. yes it will sand.

I would suggest that you purchase a 1/2 pint of the product and make a test structure and coat it with the product and see the results to ease your mind before doing the whole project...
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2002, 05:06 PM

Default THX FOR THE REPLY

WHAT EVER ,,,, GIANT SCALE

Thx cubby, my wife work's for ACE and brought me home a QT. her cost was 7 bux , no pint's , anyhoo, you gave me the answer's I was looking for. Thank's Buz^
Old 07-20-2002, 07:25 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Minwax

Do yourself a favor and try it on something else besides an airplane first.

The Minwax Polycrilic WBP may be fuelproof for gassers but my experience is that it is definitely not fuel proof for glow. I put raw 10% on it and it etched right away. On my jet, the stuff has slimed and washed away where the exhaust reside has hit it over time. The finish never did harded after months in the desert sun and I still get fingerprints and crap that sticks to it. You can wet sand it, but its a pain to polish back. Best if you can spray it and leave it.

I've also used it and other stuff like it to put on fiberglass cloth. It's too soft.

You can have the rest of my can. My $.02 worth.
Old 07-20-2002, 08:00 PM

Default THX THUD_DRIVER

ADVICE TAKEN, AT THIS POINT WAS GOING TO USE IT TO FUEL PROOF INSIDE OF TANK & MOTOR BOX AREA ONLY, AS I HAVE 3, 60 SIZE PLANES ABOUT READY TO COVER.I WILL DO A TEST FIRST
Old 07-21-2002, 04:02 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my experience the oil-based Minwax clear is fuel-proof, but it will make your colors yellowish (more or less, depending on how heavy the coat is). Whites will look "antique" white.

The water-based clear doesn't yellow but it gets attacked by raw gas. It worked great for me glassing a plane and applying Sig Koverall.

For fuel-proofing tank compartments against glo fuel I think I would stick with the tried-and-true thinned epoxy.