Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Best Work Bench Top

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Best Work Bench Top

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 01:52 PM
RandyD
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Work Bench Top

Getting back into building after several years absence. What are ya'll using for work surfaces? I recall using a solid wood door years ago and it worked well. I was thinking of using a 3' W x 8' L counter top for a work bench. Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks, Randy
Old 07-25-2004, 01:55 PM
barto

Default RE: Best Work Bench Top

I use a wooden door and on top of that 2 inch thick blue foam, workst great for me.
If you use a door, leave it flat all the time, if you put it on it's side to make some space it will bend.
Old 07-25-2004, 03:27 PM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

I've been using a hollow door with nothing on top. Needless to say I don't stick any pins in it. I also us a large glass storm door for gluing sheeting together.

Tom
Old 07-25-2004, 04:24 PM
Heavy Date

It all depends on how much you build and how long you plan to stay in the hobby. I have a 4X8' 1/2" thick sheet of tempered glass for my build table. It costs a bit, but will last a lifetime and will always be flat and solid. After building on glass, I can't believe I ever used anything else. Best surface ever!
Hans
Old 07-25-2004, 09:01 PM
hogbilly

I have a 4x8 piece of dry wall. cheap and works great
Old 07-25-2004, 09:57 PM
Jimmbbo

20 years ago ago I made up building boards from 12" x 1/2 " luan veneered shelving with 1/4 inch fine grained (bulletin board) cork cemented to one side.

I made one 6 ft long for fuselage and wing panel construction, one 2 ft long for stabs and elevators and one 12" x 12" for vertical fins and rudders... Since I like to use Aliphatic resin for most structural joints, three boards allow me to build one part of the airplane, then set it aside to dry while I work on another, and they are easy to store when not building.... FWIW, the boards are still flat -

Cheers!

Jim
Old 07-25-2004, 10:16 PM
voyager_663rd

building-hollow core door with 1/2"x 2x4 ceiling tile. 1 1/2'x6 ' x 1/2" thick sheet plate glass for cutting coverings (from a home reno project that was just going to be tossed out).
Old 07-26-2004, 04:49 AM
roreem

I use heavy timber for the bench itself, nice and flat. On top of that I have a sheet of that fibrous stuff used for notice boards (can't remember its name!) in an alloy frame. This stays flat on the bench top but is really easy to pin to. It's not expensive, so if it starts to look a little tired you just pull it out of the frame and fit a new piece.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:25 AM
CafeenMan

ORIGINAL: Heavy Date

It all depends on how much you build and how long you plan to stay in the hobby. I have a 4X8' 1/2" thick sheet of tempered glass for my build table. It costs a bit, but will last a lifetime and will always be flat and solid. After building on glass, I can't believe I ever used anything else. Best surface ever!
Hans
I have the exact same thing and feel the same way about it. I can spread or mix glue right on the glass and clean it up easily. It's dead flat and extremely durable. The only downside is that it's expensive, but your bench is your most important tool, so if you're dedicated, this is the first place to invest your money.

BTW, the bench top and the building surface should be two separate things in most cases.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:59 PM
redux

I have an 8' section of a bowling alley on top of a 4x4 and 2x6 frame.

I found it at the local lumber yard where they had bought them from a demolition.

It is quite stable and level.

When building, I place a sheet of 'hobby board' on top of it that the lumber yard stocks. This is a fibrous (sp?) board that pins stick into quite nicely.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:55 PM
tatolazo

Any plywood from 1/2" thick and up will work, better if you bolt it to some supporting frame tom avoid warping. Also very useful is to use floor wax on the top surface to or 3 times polishing it until it shines...it ensures you that any cyano or epoxy will be easily removed, I wax my own board from time to time and it seems like new.

Tato.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:24 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built a table out of plywood and 2x4s. I have a large piece of plate glass that I lay on top of it when I need a flat surface. I have seen building tables made out of melamine, a plastic covered particle board. When I up grade that is what I plan on using.

Eric
Old 07-31-2004, 06:37 AM
aimmaintenance

I have a 4x8 sheet of particle board that I set either on saw horses or on my table saw (fence removed of course).
On top of that I have a sheet of 3/8" drywall that allows me to pin into, cut on, tape plans to, jot down notes, mix glue on etc.
Once the drywall gets to beat up I just pitch it and get another.

BTW, PARTICLE board is MUCH flatter and more stable than plywood or OSB.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:12 AM
davidmor

I have two benches both made from hollow core doors. One sits on sawhorses, and the other I built legs on using PVC pipe and screws. I just push the t-pins right into the door. Go to your local big-box hardware store and ask for damaged doors. Usually one side will be damaged, but the other side will be fine. You can get them for a big discount. If you can, get wood skin doors, not the composite stuff. The wood is easier to push the pins into. If you want, put ceiling tiles on top of the door for easier pin installation. I just don't like ceiling tile material. It makes my arms itch and are messy. Being an electrician, I am in ceilings every day. Anything to take my mind off of work is a good thing. Ceiling tiles just remind me of work too much![:'(]
Old 07-31-2004, 08:22 AM
Lee Belew
My Feedback: (2)

A friend of mine is getting ready to convert one bay of his garage + 3' into a shop. For the work benches I was given by my daughter's work two 4' X 10' X 2" solid doors. One side of the doors are white and the writeable material that is used on white boards for classrooms. They are really pretty and heavy and flat.

Lee
Old 08-04-2004, 01:11 PM
MUISER
My Feedback: (3)

I use a piece of reinforced melamine that I contact cement a piece of sound deadening material (the dark brown stuff). Holds pins perfectly and stays nice and flat
Old 08-04-2004, 06:14 PM
chuck0306

I have a BUILDING Bench made from 5/8 plywood and 2 x 4's, supported in several places to keep it flat. The best material I have found for the top is called SOUNDBOARD. I've been using it for 20 years and 4 different benches. It's available from most lumber yards and is used as underlayment for floors. (I've never seen it in home improvement centers so don't even bother looking there).

It is a fiberous material, about 5/8" thick and pins stick easily and stay put. I screw the soundboard to the ply sheet using drywall screws. I've found that this surface tends to last me 5 years or more and then I turn it over and use the other side. It's not expensive and I recommend you check it out if you like to build kits using pins. I've tried building on glass and while it has some advantages, I like soundboard better. For other benches I prefer masonite or particle board. Soundboard is used only on the building bench. My two cents.

Chuck
Old 08-04-2004, 09:30 PM
dhc2pilot

I've used a hollow core door with a sheet of Celotex insulation on top. It's worked well for the last 10 years although I have replaced the Celotex once.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:45 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

I like to use 1/2 drywall. It takes pins easy and holds them tight. When your done you can throw it away. It's only $7.00 Dennis
Old 08-05-2004, 12:45 PM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Granite slab with your choice of pin holding material on top.