Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Crash Repair? >

Crash Repair?

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Crash Repair?

Old 07-21-2002, 06:07 PM
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crash Repair?

GP Stick 40, got in trade never flew it had broken tail, vertical and horizontal stabs ok, but fuse busted on one side and repaired. I hit the door frame coming out of my hanger and really busted it now, the only think holding the entire tail on is the elev and rudder rod and clevis. anyway, the balsa is busted or I should say cracked all the way around. is this a repair I should try? will it be safe afterwards? Now, what is best way to repair the damage? I figured striping the cover off and replacing the former and longerarms as best i could and put balsa sheeting back, is this the right way? thanks.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:58 AM

Default Crash Repair?

flyhi,
I'm not that familiar with you particular model,but in general you will need to reconstruct what is broken. Where there any formers where it broke or just sheeting? I'd strip off the covering around the broken area, replace broken wood and formers, then fiberglass the area with fiberglass cloth and thinned epoxy. This will strengthen the area better than before it was broken. Then simply recover the area to match the surrounding surface.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:19 PM
My Feedback: (28)

Default Crash Repair?

Hey, that fiberglass is a great idea, I will do that. I know it'll be a little more tail heavy now, but I had a couple oz in the nose for balance so maybe this will work perfect. thanks.