Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Monokote for hinges????????? >

Monokote for hinges?????????

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Monokote for hinges?????????

Old 07-23-2002, 05:27 AM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote for hinges?????????

Trying to recover my EP sailplane and do not have any hing tape to put back the v tail. LHS does not have any either. Will monokote work????
Old 07-23-2002, 05:32 AM
My Feedback: (-1)

i have used monacoat on my spoilers on my unlimted sail plane with no problems as of yet
Old 07-23-2002, 09:09 AM
My Feedback: (16)

Ues, monokote will work. Suprisingly, I have seen 90 size planes hinged with monokote. While I would not recommend it for a powered plane, you should have no problems with a sale plane!
Old 07-23-2002, 01:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, monocoat makes good hinges. See http://www.flightlines.com/forum/For...ML/000053.html for some good info with pictures.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:35 PM
My Feedback: (5)

I've never done it, but have been tempted to. Just curious, but how large a plane can you do this safely on? Can you do it on a 1/4 scale, 12lb ship or even larger? I normally use Robart hinge points, but there have been times where a monokote hinge would have been easier to implement...
Old 07-24-2002, 01:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the hinges made from the covering material all the time. I have it on four 1/4 scale planes, one well over 10 years old with heavy use (a Phaeton 90 with a Quadra 72 for power) and the hinges hold up fine.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:25 PM

Only time I've had problems with this hinging method is when the control horn is at one extreme end of the surface. This tends to cause a twisting of the surface which imparts a sideways load on the hing instead of a straight pull. It pulls loose a bit and reduced throws result.
To correct this I stitched a hinge near the control horn to reinforce the covering there. Choose some thread that matches the covering and soaked the wood with glue to harden it.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:15 PM

Rodney hit it right on with that link. That is actually the best illustration I have seen on how to make monokote hinges. I used to use the "bits and pieces" method on all my slopers before I started glassing and painting everything. Alternating the hinges in this manner will allow the aileron to roll up and down without stressing the hinges and also does not let any air through. I have never had them come off. Give it a try.

Russ.
Old 07-24-2002, 09:57 PM

I've never bought hinges. I always use the coating on both sides. I've never had one rip.