Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Painting Frame inside clear canopy >

Painting Frame inside clear canopy

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Painting Frame inside clear canopy

Old 07-26-2002, 05:16 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Frame inside clear canopy

I have a one piece clear Canopy. I want to Paint black 2-3mm lines representing the Frame. I have thought of scribing (scraping) the design I want then painting between, I'm hoping the scribed lines will prevent the Paint from bleeding. Then I thought I would just tape it up but, Paint always goes underneath. What is the best way??? What do you guys do???
Old 07-26-2002, 05:20 PM

I plan on using a Polycarbonate Paint called Pactra, clear body paint for RC cars.
Old 07-26-2002, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Canopy Painting

Get yourself some "liquid mask", spray the inside, cut the design of your frame, peel away where you want paint and go to it. Mfg. by Bob Dively. I have used this stuuf for years and it works GREAT.
Steve
Old 07-27-2002, 04:10 AM

Or go to an auto paint supply and ask for "thin line" stripping tape.
You can get it in 1/16- 3/8 width, I use 1/8. create the spaces you want painted with this flexible, fine edged tape, then tape off the other areas with regular masking tape. about $4 a roll
Old 07-28-2002, 05:11 AM

Well I decided to use a good quality scotch tape. The Elmer's invisible. It was quite easy to see though
I was able to get the tape to stick real well, yet it pulled off clean. No bleeding at all, very clean and straight lines, I'm real happy with it.
Old 07-28-2002, 01:01 PM
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Long Mask

You can also use Long Mask. It is a blue tape that does not bleed any paint and it does not lift up any paint if you are applying paint over paint. It is available at the Home Depot. Been using it for years and nothing but complete success. Good Luck, Dave.