Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Flite Metal aka Home Deopot Aluminum Tape Burnishing Help >

Flite Metal aka Home Deopot Aluminum Tape Burnishing Help

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Flite Metal aka Home Deopot Aluminum Tape Burnishing Help

Old 08-25-2002, 12:18 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flite Metal aka Home Deopot Aluminum Tape Burnishing Help

Hi,

I am in the process of finishing my TF P-47 Gold edition with Aluminum tape I purchased at home depot which I believe is the same quality as Flite Metal. My problem arises when I try and burnish the material as I invariably mark up the tape with dings. (I am sure I am not dinging the wood however).

While this may be unavoidable given my two left thumbs, is there any way to smooth these out? Also, if I end up sanding with 600 grit to finish...will this help to hide some of the dings?

Thanks,

Syd
Old 08-25-2002, 06:15 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default HD duct tape

Home Depot Alum. duct tape is'nt even in the same ball park as flite metal..it's not even the same sport for that matter..
The HD tape is harder than flite metal,thicker than flite metal,heavier than flite metal,you have to clean off the printing from the HD tape,HD tape is harder to use than flite metal,the finish on the flite metal is finer and HD tape does'nt come in 12" wide sheets as well also when you buy flite metal it comes with tools and instructions on how to apply it to models..
HD tape does'nt
.......The flite metal instruction recomend to fiber glass the airframe
prior to the application of the flite metal.

Art
Old 08-25-2002, 11:02 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Thanks for the reply!

I know it isn't quite flite metal quality, but it is pretty good and without entering into further debate about it, I have read many success stories with the aluminum tape from HD. It is about 3 inches wide which is wide enough for my .60 size panels.

I am just hoping that a fine sanding will dull the reflections and make any dings (yes, I did glass it) less noticeable. We shall see, and I'll post some pics of the pre and post sanding stages for everyone to judge.

On a more sad note, I moved in with my gal a few months back and still kept my old pad for storage and such. Well, it looks like either one of my old roomies or the housekeeper threw out one of the ailerons on my TF P-47 Gold ... now I am not sure what the hell to do! I don't have the patience to build another wing and I am not sure if the flap can be replaced by any other method :P

Syd
Old 08-27-2002, 07:46 PM
My Feedback: (3)

I have used flite-metal and HD tape. I used the tools included with FM on other tapes. These really help in applying and not dinging your surface. One tool is a type of rolled paper to use for applying the tape then the burnishing tool is a hard plastic dowel with a rounded cone end the other is just rounded. I didn't like the lap over for panels and if I do it again I will do a butt joint. I used steel wool in a circlular scrub motion to take the gloss out which I was pleased with. If you take your time I think very good results can be had.