Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Covering Question >

Covering Question

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Covering Question

Old 09-02-2002, 07:51 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering Question

I would like to use the US flag as a design on the wing of my new plane. I have seen them on several planes in magazines and they really look great especially ones that look like the flag is waving in a stiff breeze. I haven't found a thread on this application but then maybe I didn't look hard enough. I am sure it's done using iron on covering.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 09-02-2002, 07:03 PM

Tony,

It is done with iron on covering. The one I saw had hundreds of pieces of MonoKote even multi colors of red and gray for the stripes (dark red and gray looked like shadows in the stripes). I'm sure it was done over glass using trim solvent or a trim iron, I use both methods but have not tried anything that ambitious.
Old 09-02-2002, 07:22 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Morris, thanks for the update. What you described is VERY ambitious. I saw cover of a recent RC Report magazine with the flag covering both wings and while it look challlenging, it realy looked very appropriate for my model.
Thanks
Old 09-03-2002, 05:24 PM
My Feedback: (16)

You can see a nice covering job of a flag in this thread. Maybe you can ask termagator how exactly he did it.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...&pagenumber=22

If the link doesn't work correctly, you will find it in the fun fly forum under thread "ode to billy hell" page # 222