Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Some re-covering questions

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Some re-covering questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 09:52 AM
boss351
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some re-covering questions

I have an old Sportster Bipe that is due re-covering. I have some questions in order to get this done with a good finish. The original covering is Monokote.

1) All the hinges in the control surfaces are pinned nylon, and very well done. What is best, strip the covering leaing the hinges in place and trying to re-cover like that (how do you do that to get a good finish? Or, somehow remove the surfaces and hinges, recover and re-hinge. How would you get these surfaces off, slice through the exposed nylon? Has anyone ever had any success in trying to remove the hinge pin?

2) I have an assortment of coverings that I would like to try and use (without creating too much of an eyesore). Monokote, Ultracote and some Coverite fabric and Solartex fabric. If I use fabric as a base can I use monokote or ultracote for patterns on top of it?

Appreciate your help,

Adam
Old 01-16-2005, 10:50 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Some re-covering questions

From your discreption of the way the hinges are done, just replace the control surfaces and leave the hinges in the wing and stabs. I have recovered planes with the control sufaces still attached. It is a royal pain in the iron. You can do it, but it takes more time and is a little bit harder.

If you leave the control; surfaces in place you just have to cut a slot in the covering where the hinges are, slide the covering between the alieron and the wing and iron in place. It makes it a little harder to do the heat and pull on the wing tips and other places but it can be done.

Dru.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:14 PM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: boss351
Has anyone ever had any success in trying to remove the hinge pin?
Use a Dremel type rotary tool to grind off the head of the pin, and pull it out using needle nose pliers on the flattened (opposite) end.

When you have the covering done, put the hinges back together using "L" shaped pins made from stainless steel wire (of the correct gage). Leave enough extra pin protruding from the opposite end of the hinge so it can be bent to lock the new pin in place.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:04 PM
boss351

Thanks for the tips. So if I want to re-use the existing hinges I can cut out the aileron, for example, slot a new aileron and glue it on to the hinges? I guess the pinned hinges are epoxied in, once I have done my best with an exacto, is there anything good to clean up the hinge for re-use?

I will take advantage of the recover and removal of the old control surfaces to give this plane a personal style with the bat wing like surfaces you see on the Stiks and the Der Jager, should look pretty different!
Old 01-16-2005, 10:26 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might be able to remove some of the old epoxy by soaking a paper towel with MEK, Xylen, Acitone, or Laquer thinner and hold it the the exposed hinge tab. You can also try some heat from a heat gun.

Dru.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:29 PM
boss351

Thanks, I'll be trying this tomorrow night. I found the heatgun invalueble getting that old monokote off, still have the body to strip but it is moving along..