Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Painting Camouflage on fabric

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Painting Camouflage on fabric

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 05:40 PM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Painting Camouflage on fabric

What is the most convenient way to paint a camouflage scheme. I’m planning to use 3m masking tape for the curves, but this would take a lot of time. I also have the patterns cut out on paper. Is there another way to apply this pattern onto the surface other than to trace it with thin masking tape?

Thanks

Mike
Old 02-06-2005, 06:17 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Painting Camouflage on fabric

Cut the different patterns for the different colors out of paper, and use them
a stencils. The edges of the camo paterns should be soft looking, and blend-in
slightly....not a crisp edge as with masking tape. Spray paint through the stencils.

You can hold the stencils up slightly off the surface when you spray them to get
the correct looking edges. Do some practice first, and the job will come out looking
just right.

FBD.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I paint camo I paint my base color first.

When that is COMPLETELY DRY, I make/cut out my stencils.

I then take some 3M 2DOT BLUE MASKING tape and make several rolls about 1/4" thick (sticky side out ). These I stick on the back of the stencil about 1/2 - 3/4" from the edge.

(The 2 dot blue masking tape WILL NOT pull up the fresh paint, where the 3 dot and higher will pull the paint. The 2 dot is recognized by 2 dots on the side of the celophane wrapper in the adhesive rating, a paper like appearance, not textured, and it will say "60 Day Safe Release" )

Now I position the stencil where I want it and LIGHTLY press down to adhere it in place.

When I paint the color I try to keep the airbrush as close to perpendicular as possible while doing the edge and when shooting the balance of the area try to spray away from the stencil. The camo area will come out with a nice soft edge and, if you have masked properly, no overspray on the other areas.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:29 AM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the great advice. I have already cut out the stencils and that is exactly the way I was planning to do it. I just thought I would want a sharp edge rather then blended edge. My base color is olive drab fabric. I will be using brown paint on top of it. Again thanks for the advice.

Mike
Old 02-09-2005, 10:00 AM
Stew99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some aircraft companies used paint masks that left a sharp edge on their camo. I have used sticky-backed shelf paper to lay out the pattern. It's easy to cover large areas.