Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
2 color fuse >

2 color fuse

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

2 color fuse

Old 09-09-2002, 10:00 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 color fuse

Hi I will be trying to cover a fuse with 2 colors of Monokote,(red n white)..Will need all the tips I can get..I have cover fuse's before but with only a single color..Wing should pose no problems.
Just concerened about getting a straight line where the colors will meet on the fuse sides... Sooooo lets get to hitting the key board and post or E-mail any tips.

Thanks in advance Dan
PS I know you guys/girls will come thur for me once again...
Old 09-09-2002, 10:26 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default 2 color fuse

Red over white(dark over light). You can hide seams with pin striping. I like at least three color schemes using a third color for pin striping. I prefer Ultracote over Monocote.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:40 AM

Default 2 color fuse

Cut the edges straight. As already discussed red over the white. Overlap 1/4 inch. Start with light heat to tack it straight and pull it sideways for the stretching (perpendicular). Then 'cook it on. Be careful not to press and roll the red monocote to tightly with the iron, lest the red bleed over onto the white. You might want to practice on a scap piece of balsa.

3M makes a double pin striping (for cars, get at a place like united auto parts, just bring some monocote with you) that you can get to match monocote. Worse case, that can hide any imperfections and is reasonably fuel proof.

Bob aka Nuker
Old 09-11-2002, 11:12 AM
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Default 2 color fuse

Use a mirror to join the two colors. 'cook' it on the mirror, then it will pull right up. Use Acetone to clean the smeared glue. Nuker is right, use about a .25 inch of overlap so they don't pull apart after you get it on the surface and begin heating it.
Old 09-11-2002, 01:56 PM
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Default 2 color fuse

Dbone,
Getting a perfect line is very tough, like the other guys say that's why there is trim tape
Red/White with a black or blue pinstripe actually looks better than no pinstripe
The pin striping really highlights the colors

Also start with a very cool iron (just hot enough to get to stick) when joining the piece, if you irons to hot it will quickly deform the edge of the covering and you'll never get a straight line.

Basically to tack both ends and the straighten the line and tack it down little by little along your line, then when the line is all tacked down work out the rest,

Like most things it takes a little practice