Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Robart Point Hinges >

Robart Point Hinges

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Robart Point Hinges

Old 09-15-2002, 05:53 PM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Robart Point Hinges

Has anyone used these Robart Point Hinges with success? I have always used the nylon "slot" type hinges. It will be used on the surfaces of a 40 size high speed warbird. Would these hold up? Here a picture of one
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	26070_7223.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	16430  
Old 09-15-2002, 06:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default hinge points

Yes i used to use them all the time before i build my own hinges. I like them better than slot hinges as they give a nice scale appearance. they are a little more difficult to install as you have to notch out the wood a little around the hinge but thats what makes it more scale. I have never had a hinge failure with them on 30 - 45 lb planes.

Joe
Old 09-16-2002, 12:19 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent hinges, never had one fail, and I use them all the time and have been for years.

Vince
Old 09-16-2002, 01:09 AM
My Feedback: (23)

profLooney,

What do you mean 'Notch out the wood a little"? I just bought some for my Pica Corsair ( I haven't read the installation insctructions yet).

Dave
Old 09-16-2002, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robart Hingepoint hinges

I've used these almost exclusively for nearly ten years without the first problem. Very reliable and easy to use.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:23 AM
My Feedback: (5)

I have used them too.
The area of the hinge where it is pinned is square. So you drill your hole push it in and it won't fit nice. You have to quote "notch the wood a little"
This is what I'm sure he is referring to. I made a little jig that ensures straight and accurate drilling on each hole. Very crucial to get them lined up, take your time.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:37 AM

Default notch

What steve just said. the hingepoint is round but the pivot area is square thus you would be trying to do the old square peg in the round hole bit. instructions should show you will just notch it slightly so it fits good. also be sure yo vaselene the hinging area before you glue it in place.

Joe
Old 09-16-2002, 04:46 AM
DrV

Thank you everyone for your input.

Steve,

Would you please share with us the type of jig you made for the drilled holes?

Also, what's easier, to epoxy the hinges to the moving surfaces or the trailing edges of the wing/stabilizers? When I use the slot hinges I attach them to the wing/stabilizers first then I push in the ailerons/rudder/elevator/flaps.

Thanks

Mike
Old 09-16-2002, 05:45 AM

Default glueing

I dont glue mine til i am entirely done painting then i just glue them to the stab elev etc then glue to the main frame all at the same time

Joe
Old 09-16-2002, 06:12 AM
My Feedback: (41)

Square up the hole with a tail of a file or take some aluminum shape the end to the rectangular shape. After drilling push the rectangle in the hole and it is square!
Old 09-16-2002, 09:55 AM

If the control surface is thick enough I use a round dremel bit to route out a larger recessed hole to accept the joint part of the hinge. On control surfaces where this is not possible I use the file method.

Vince
Old 09-16-2002, 01:34 PM
My Feedback: (5)

I use a piece of hardwood the same thickness as the Trailing Edge. Glue 2 pieces of ply to the top and bottom of it. Drill a hole through the hardwood exactly where you prefer it. Now each hole on the trailing edges will be exactly where you want them. You will or should have to make a jig for the Leading Edge of your control surfaces too. They should be slightly thicker
This works great for smooth operating hinges but, we still have to work hard to get the two mated
Old 09-16-2002, 11:03 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Robart tool

.... or you can buy it for $5.45 from Robart (#319)

Name:	26303_53.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	16431  
Old 09-16-2002, 11:05 PM

Default nother one

I think it is goldberg that has one too but it may be master airscrew cant remember I got 2 of them but not the packageing as i got them yrs ago they also do the flat hinges too. but the one above looks nicer as it is metal alloy

Joe
Old 09-16-2002, 11:20 PM

Default Re: Robart tool

Originally posted by guaraguao
.... or you can buy it for $5.45 from Robart (#319)
This little tool does the job. Just be sure to draw a centerline down the trailing edge of the wing (and the LE of the control surface) to insure the holes drilled are in line. I usually drill the TE first, hold the aileron or whatever up to the TE and mark the position for the matching holes, then drill them, following the centerline carefully. The centerline insures the hinges line up perfectly giving smooth, bind-free operation.
Old 09-17-2002, 05:39 AM
DrV

I went out and bought some hinges today. The local hobby store had two types, ones that were very small and had a plastic pin, and large ones with a metal pin. I chose the ones with a metal pin as pictured above. The diameter is 1/8" and the elevators and rudder thickness is 1/4" balsa. I thought this hinge is a bit large for a 1/4" balsa surface. Do they sell anything in between the small and these 1/8" hinges?

thanks

Mike
Old 09-17-2002, 07:39 AM

Default Robart Hinge Points

Here is what I made for a friend of mine. He said he drilled for 14 hinges in 7 minutes and they were all centered. Maybe this will give you some ideas. To drill on a flat surface draw a center line for the holes and put a small piece of double stick on the flat side of the drill guide to help hold it in place.

Hope it helps.
Lee

Name:	26367_5670.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	16432  
Old 09-17-2002, 07:40 AM

Photo # 2

Name:	26368_5670.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	16433  
Old 09-17-2002, 07:42 AM

Photo # 3

Name:	26369_5670.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	16434  
Old 09-17-2002, 10:49 AM

Guys,

I use a piece of sharpened brass tubing to drill the holes for these hinges. It helps to avoid the "bit slip" that sometimes happens. I got this tip from Larry at Jet Hanger Hobbies years ago.

Mark M.
Old 09-17-2002, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by DrV
Do they sell anything in between the small and these 1/8" hinges?

thanks

Mike
Yes they sell abt 4 or 5 different sizes up to huge giant scale ones. I think the 1/8th will work what you doing mine are usually abt 1/2 the width of the rear as then when you notch it out it is set just right for full movement. And you did good by getting the metal hinged points the plastic ones suck.

Joe
Old 09-18-2002, 06:06 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default !

Originally posted by MMallory
Guys,

I use a piece of sharpened brass tubing to drill the holes for these hinges. It helps to avoid the "bit slip" that sometimes happens. I got this tip from Larry at Jet Hanger Hobbies years ago.

Mark M.
That is a great tip, can't believe I had not thought of that one.

Also, that little robart drill jig, be careful when using on highly tapered training edges or it will not center the hole properly.
Old 09-18-2002, 06:25 PM

Default Robart Hinge points

Lee, I like-a dat tool you make! Nicely done!

Also, for drilling in balsa try a "brad-point" bit. It cuts a nice, clean hole and won't slip or skid. You can get 'em down to 1/8" at Home Depot, Lowe's, or any good hardware store.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:33 AM

Default Robart hinges

When drilling into balsa a with standard drills always turn the drill backward until the drill has started a hole and then you can drill forward. Turning the bit backward/reverse will not tear the balsa an usually happens when starting forward. I have been using brass tubing for drilling balsa for maybe thirty years. In many instances It does not tear the wood. Make some teeth on the end for better cutting. This is a good method but in some situations it can be trickey to get started just right on a flat surface. Sharpen the brass from the inside with a reshapped grinding rock for your dremel tool.
The drill guide I made with my Shoptask Lathe/mill. I call it my searious toy. Had it about 8 yrs. It was one of the things that I promised myself that I would have before I retire. RCU is a great forum the way everyone pitches in to help with the many problems that occur in R/C Modeling. Whatever problem a person has there is another person who has solved it. This is an excellent way to get the problems with the person who has conquered it.
Thanks
Lee
Old 09-19-2002, 02:51 PM

how would you install Robart hinge points in a fiberglass wing ?would there have to be foam or wood backing ? is there anything more scale in appearence then the Robart Hinge Points for giant scale fiberglass model wings and tail surfaces ?