Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Best way to adhere decals ? Windex ? >

Best way to adhere decals ? Windex ?

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Best way to adhere decals ? Windex ?

Old 09-18-2002, 05:08 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to adhere decals ? Windex ?

What is the best way to attach / adhere decals (supplied ones in ARF box) to the plane ? I really have done (well thats what I think for my building skills) a nice and careful job putting this Yellow Aircraft Sukhoi together, and don't want to screw up and have bubbles in the decals when putting them on. Can I go ahead and use safely the windex method, and just let the supplied decals dry overnight ? If this would work, and since I have never used this method, how much windex do you use ?
Old 09-18-2002, 05:28 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just use plain old liquid dish soap... about a tablespoon in a quart spray bottle. Start applying this solution on the decal back as you remove it from the paper so it won't fold back and stick on to itself. Apply the solution liberally to the wing or what ever. Slide the decal on to the surface and position it. I use a tissue or paper towel and squeegee out the water,working from the center to the out side of the decal till the water is removed. any small bubbles can be removed by puncturing with a pin and squeeged out. let dry over night.

Good Luck !

Ugo
Old 09-18-2002, 05:47 PM

I use the windex method. You will be suprised how easy and well it works. Spray the surface and the decal as stated above.

I use a left over piece of light plywood to flatten out the decals. Use it like a squeegee to remove the windex and bubbles out from under the decal. I then pat dry with paper towels.

It is much easier than you may think. The decal will not stick and moves easily until you "squeegee" out the liquid and bubbles. It can still be removed until it dries overnight.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:48 PM

Default Windex!!!

I just got done using the windex method and using wood to "smooth" things over. It looks like the plane had the decals placed on out of the box. It really works well.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:53 PM

I just applied them over the weekend to, and used one of those SIG epoxy spreader to squeeze the windex out once applied. I totally agree by saying that it looks like the plane came with the decals out of box. Thanks
Old 09-23-2002, 09:56 PM

I was taught to heat a pan of water on the stove to like warm then use a table spoon of dish soap dipping the decals in the soapy water.

Randy
Old 09-26-2002, 01:15 PM
My Feedback: (19)

Default Best way?

Ok, here is the solution to all your worries on decal installations.

Go to your local viynl sign shop. Take an empty spray bottle with you and ask them to fill up your bottle with a product called RAPID TACK . I was turned onto this product by a master model builder that helped me install all my graphics on my 40% Edge last month.

This stuff works on either stickers or vinyl letters/graphics. Just apply a light spray onto the decal and a little on the spot your applying it to. Then you position it where you want, and when your happy, take a paper towel and gently smooth away the moisture. Let it dry and you have a perfect decal with NO bubbles!

Oh, you can use a small amount of RAPID TACK applied to a paper towel as a cleaner on the surface you plan to apply the decal. Just wipe the area and dry it off.

Good luck,

C&B
Old 09-26-2002, 01:30 PM

Default Trim Solvent

Wouldn't it be the same as using trim solvent from monokote ? Just an idea ! Maybe I am totally off.
Old 09-26-2002, 03:23 PM

Default windex works for me

Diddo on the windex trick. Also, after the decals have dried over night, i hit 'em with a warm iron. I don't know if it necessary, but they have never come off. This also reminds me of something else i found. You know how different color monocote runs with a hot iron...kinda smears when applying stripes and such. Well i found nail polish remover takes it off with EASE.

Cheers,
Jason
Old 09-26-2002, 04:54 PM

As far as deling with air bubbles I found that by using the point of an exto knife and poping a hole in the surface it never shows the hole and you can push the air out.

Randy