Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Long Term Storage of CA >

Long Term Storage of CA

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Long Term Storage of CA

Old 09-22-2002, 05:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Long Term Storage of CA

is there an effective way to store CA glues long term (i.e. 3-9 months)? What is the best way for an opened bottle or unopened bottle to be stored to preserve as much of the freshness/potency as possible?

I'm not sure if this has been covered in another thread but couldn't find it and was short of time so I could either use answers or a link to the thread on it if it's been covered.

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2002, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put it in the freezer (in a plastic bag too just in case it does leak).
Old 09-22-2002, 06:00 PM
My Feedback: (5)

I store all my Ca in the freezer and have come back and found a bottle that got lost over 5 years ago and it's still fresh. Just make sure you let it come up to room temperature before you use it.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:10 PM

For my opened bottles I just leave them sit open and they stay good indefinatly. sometimes they get a little thicker but that is all. I have had a bottle go bad from sitting after being opened.but that is time to change brands. Normally the first thing I do when I open a bottle is throw the cap away.
Old 09-23-2002, 06:38 AM
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I store all my CA in the freezer inside a plastic container with silicone seal. Don't want any of those nasty fumes to get on my foodstuff. I also place a few bags of dessicant in the container to minimise any condensation when I bring back to room temp.

I was wondering if CA accelerators need freezing too ? Anyone knows if it degrades at room temp ?

Thanks...........
Old 09-23-2002, 10:30 AM

In summer on particually hot days (40 C, 100F) I put all my CA in the fridge before going to school. I work in an empty garage so when it's hot outside, it's REAL hot inside (about 5-10 extra degrees celcius) and when cold, very cold in the garage due to all the concrete.
What I'm trying to say is if you ever want to just store your CA for a short period just use the fridge.
Old 09-23-2002, 03:55 PM

I have three bottles open CA (thin, medim, thick) in the garage with a Bic pen caps as covers. My garage gets over 100 deg. F during the day. I've been using the CA for the past six months without a problem. What about unopened bottles of CA - I have a few bottles stored away that I bought four or five years ago. Will these be OK?
Old 09-23-2002, 04:04 PM

Hi, the curing of CA adhesives are accelerated by moisture. As such, you don't want to expose them. Cheers..............
Old 09-23-2002, 04:27 PM
Banned

Could one use a spray mist of water as an accelerator?
Old 09-23-2002, 05:49 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Yes you could, but it makes things all wet. It also doesn't work as well as the regular kicker.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:32 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Storage in the fridge or freezer is fine, but be careful about how quickly you bring the glue up to temperature after prolonged storage. I once had a couple of hundred bottles go rock hard because I warmed them up too quickly.

Re kicker: it will vary slightly according to the CA brand, but you should be able to use a 409 / Windex type of spray as long as it contains ammonia. You can also use Nitromethane. I almost never use kicker (I prefer to let the glue cure on its own), but the above tips were given to me by a friend who owns a glue company.

Regs,
Gordon
Old 09-24-2002, 02:21 AM
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I tried the fridge, and it didn't work.

I just leave 'em out now, with the little caps off. I swear they last longer this way....except when my cat knocks 'em over.
....never did freeze 'em though.

BTW, Boss....if ya' keep building, you don't have to worry about long term storage....( HE HE )
Old 09-24-2002, 06:49 PM
My Feedback: (25)

Default Storing and Cyberbond Flex

I have talked to Steve Evans (Cyberbond) about this at length. Steve has been very supportive of IMAC (he is also the Treasurer) and has donated Cyberbond glue at many contests this year. Thanks Steve!

The bottom line is that SUNLIGHT is the harmful factor here. Temp. is next, but it does not have to be freezing - the fridge is fine. I keep mine in the fridge with aluminum foil wrapped around them. Also, if you are using the FLEX glue or any other rubberized CA, do NOT put them in the fridge or freezer - just simply wrap them in Aluminum foil until ready for use. I have noticed that once opened, the rubberized CA's don't last as long so I just get the 1 oz bottles unless I am doing a lot of building.

BTW, if you have never used Cyberbond Flex, you should try it. I always overlooked it because of the name, but don't let that fool you. It is everybit as strong as 5 min. Epoxy and as quick and easy to use as CA. We had to fix one of Steve's planes at my house during an IMAC contest this summer. He had some and used it and now I am hooked on the stuff. Right now, I am just a recreational user, but with a 40% Edge sitting on my workbench, this could turn into a real addiction!
Old 09-24-2002, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Storing and Cyberbond Flex

Originally posted by Fly4Fun2
The bottom line is that SUNLIGHT is the harmful factor here.
If sunlight (or uv) is the factor, then manufacturers should supply them in dark bottles instead of the current translucent ones ??...................
Old 09-25-2002, 10:56 AM
My Feedback: (25)

Default kind of like beer bottles!

Good idea, I will ask Steve about that one. I have an idea that part of the reason is you could not tell how much was left in a bottle. You may notice that the accelerator bottles are dark brown - kind of like beer bottles. Which - BTW - are also dark because of wanting to reduce uv light's affect on the beer.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:01 AM
My Feedback: (6)

If you need to store CA then your not building enough or not flying enough
Old 09-25-2002, 12:04 PM
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default In the fridge

I buy CA in the 8 oz bottles and I have never done anything other than keep it in the fridge. It has never gone bad and some of the smaler bottles of thin CA have been in the fridge for years and are still as fresh as the day I bought them. Good Luck, Dave.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:27 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Originally posted by rpmodeltech
If you need to store CA then your not building
On the contrary, I build a lot (several hours per day), but do still need to store glue (CA and others). Because I don't want to have the building process held up due to running out of any glue, I keep a decent stock on hand - typically a case or more of each of several different CA's, epoxy, aliphatics, etc.

Gordon
Old 01-12-2003, 07:15 AM

I just buy super glue (cyno) in 3ml tubes from the supermarket. Works out at the same price and is only 3ml so it is used up quickly. you can even buy generic brands for half the price.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:04 PM

The viscosity of ca is tailored for different applications in model building typically thin, medium and thick. Do a search here at RCU and you'll find tons of info. Just a word of caution if you are planning to use the super glue you purchased for building.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:00 AM

you can get thick and thin super glue. Just because it is not designed specifically for modelling I doubt If it is inferior. I have used it on other applications for years.