Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Building a field box. >

Building a field box.

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Building a field box.

Old 09-24-2002, 02:52 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a field box.

Im interested in Building a field box. Roughly 32x16x14.
Im thinking a enclosed box type which will end up being waterproof.
The thing I cant figure out yet is what wood to use to build it.
I want something that will be light but also strong a durable. I plan to use box joints on the corners to add strength but I am trying to stay away from heavy wood.

One thought is to use a hard wood as the deck and build up a frame, then skin it with thin laminated wood sheets. Im not sure if this would be strong enough though.

I am not experienced at all in woodworking but I am starting to buy some tools and getting interested. Maybe I will pick up a book this week on building and so forth.

Any suggestions would be helpfull.

Thanks

Dbow
Old 09-24-2002, 03:16 AM
My Feedback: (206)

Default Field box

By the size of the box, I suggest that you build some muscles before because with over 4 cubic feet of cargo space you are going to find yourself lugging your workshop to the field.

My suggestion to you is to find or build a much smaller one to carry the basic necessity. If you want to bring along more stuff get one of these plastic tool box that sells at most hardware stores or yard sales and fill it up. However leave it in the car to be taken out only if you need it.

I had one of those field box loaded with even an AM/FM car radio c/w cassette player along with all the tools I thought I would require once in a life time. I finally got a much smaller (Hanger 9) field box...and the big one stays in the car.

Enjoy flying more than lugging stuff...just in case you might need it. Have fun
John
Old 09-24-2002, 03:37 AM
My Feedback: (-1)

Default field box

hey, you would be better off getting a smaller box , Sig.mfg has a box that is big enough to carry nearly everything you could want to put in it. but there is a neat little part of the box that comes off of it to carry you're fuel starter and a few other little items that you might want. check it out, it might be just what you are looking for.
Old 09-24-2002, 03:50 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Default My ultimate flight Box

Look at this and see if you get any Ideas.
Hope this helps
Lee

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...532&forumid=63]
Old 09-24-2002, 12:41 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Default Plans

Within the URL you will find a drawing of a field box, It is not as big as you requested, but it on the same lines as these guys are talking about.
http://www.lmak.rcclubs.com/photo2.html
Maybe you should look into one of the boxes that BillOde reviewed. here is the link.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...ght=flight+box]
Old 09-24-2002, 02:41 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Another suggestion, as it seems like you want to build your own box, is to build it so that it has one or more "units". Each of these would be removable so that you could bring the whole box out to the field, but only what you need to your plane.

You could even put the main portion on wheels since it would be somewhat heavy.

Mike
Old 09-24-2002, 03:25 PM

Default Box

Ya I imagine it would end up being a little heavy. The wheels are not a bad idea. If I decide to put wheels on it, I might have to make it a little bigger...lol

I have looked at several field boxes in the hobby shops. I dont like the open design, I need something that is enclosed and can ride in the back of my truck waterproofing the contents inside.
It also needs to be able to hold all of my equipment and so forth.

I have one of those big plastic buckets but its not very functional, basically toss evething inside and then pull everything out when you get to the field.
Im going to look at those tall plastic tool box types on my way home from work today, just might have to get one.

Im also looking into a camper top for my truck, if I decide to get one all of my problems will be solved.
Thats gonna be one heck of the field box for $1000....lol

Thanks for the responses.

Dbow
Old 09-24-2002, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default idea ?

It's made out of luan ply....it's strong
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	27516_11097.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	17080  
Old 09-25-2002, 03:50 AM

Hey Tom, that's a nifty idea for a field box!

I'm currently using one of the Plano "Guide Series" fishing tackle boxes (the grey one with the blue colored fold-down front). WalMart, etc.

This is a great box for taking stuff to the field. It carries (enclosed) my transmitter, Sullivan starter, manual & electric fuel pumps, 12v battery, tools, props, Sirius Pro battery charger, fuel can -- half gallon, attached on the side), and darn near everything else I'd ever need in a compact design. Heck, I even carry a full roll of paper towels on the back side of the box! it's not super light, but for that matter, it's never really been a burden to carry to and from the car.

Lots of the stuff is carried in the two removable, clear plastic trays that insert behind the fold-down flap. These have all those separate compartments for storing glow plugs, hose clips, rubber bands, screwdrivers, glow starter, and other assorted hardware. The battery and starter fit right below the plastic compartmented trays.

Works for me much better than my previous wood box, but I must say that if I were to buy another I would lean toward the Sig Field Boss.

Sorry I don't have a picture, but just hope this gives you some good ideas.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:48 AM

Default Plans for a box

Here is a web site with plans for a good looking field box. I have not ordered the plans.

www.flightmodelproducts.com

Anyone built one of these?

Lee