Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Painting on Monokote or Ultracoat >

Painting on Monokote or Ultracoat

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Painting on Monokote or Ultracoat

Old 09-27-2002, 02:15 PM
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting on Monokote or Ultracoat

I have heard of this being done, but was wondering what the process is and what the long term durability is.

I am building a 40% Edge this winter for next year's IMAC season. I want to do a Kirby Chamblis scheme. I can find an airbrush artist to do the cowl and can get the checkerboard and other details cut from Dennis Kirby. I want to get the airbrush guy to paint the ripped effect around the checkerboards.

What do I need to do to get the paint to adhere?
What kind of paint is recommended?
What is a good clear coat that will stick to monokote and not yellow with age or sunlight exposer?

Remember - this is not going to be a hangar queen. It will be flown at several contests and hopefully once or twice during the week from May till late September.
Old 10-04-2002, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have successfully painted trim colors over monokote using both Pactra Formula-U and Chevron Perfect Paint. You can also use PPG Concept two part automotive eurethane paints if you want the ultimate in color selection and durability at a price. After masking the trim area I lightly scuff the monokote with 6oo grit automtotive paper used dry. A light wipe with a solvent prep, tack wipe and spray with airbrush or detail gun. Use 3m trim line masking tape, or equivalent good quality vinyl tape for a sharp edge. Peel the masking before the paint cures to allow the edge to flow a bit. If you want to clear coat use the PPG concept clear. It is crystal clear and will stay that way and will work over the other two products mentioned once they are cured. Very lightly wet sand the color with 1,200 grit automotive paper used wet to aid adhesion of the clear. I like to set my masking for the clear coat about 1/8 inch back from the color line to blend the color edge.

If you get wrinkles in the monokote you will be limited to how much heat you can apply to reshrink the painted areas. It is best to avoid using this technique over expansive areas.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:59 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I painted over Ultracote on the wing of my Somethin' Extra. I scuffed with 600 grit sandpaper, wiped down with acetone and used Lustrekote and Krylon to paint. It has held up through one season so far probably out at the field 30 times maximum. I haven't had to reshrink the covering, this is what really worries me. Ultracote is pretty low maintenance compared to Monokote in my experience so hopefully I will never have to take the iron to it. It can be seen here:

http://www.geocities.com/coppermine..../somethin.html

The fuselage is covered in Goldberg Colortex, takes paint very well too.