Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
saving a CANOPY? >

saving a CANOPY?

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

saving a CANOPY?

Old 09-28-2002, 01:41 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default saving a CANOPY?

in my latest kit (Hacker Spitfire) the canopy is of a very poor quality:
a 'rash' like surface on one side, and generaly small surface defects.

1- is it possible to save the canopy by polishing or similar method?

2- if i can't save it , what's the best way to make a mould from it (plaster?), then polish the mould to eliminate defects and thermo-form a new one?

PLEASE HELP!

p.s. since the kit was a gift brought from the Czech republic, and i live in North america, it's hard to exchange it. I did E-mail Hacker, but got no response on the canopy problem...

THNX Vasek
Old 09-28-2002, 02:00 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default saving a CANOPY?

You can salvage the one you have got!

Take some fine grit sandpaper. I would start with 600 grit wet. And give the entire canopy a light sanding, increase to 1000, then 1500, and finally with 2000 grit. Use plenty of water and make sure and do the whole canopy. When you get through it should look terrible, like a light fog all over it but smooth. Next get some PPG 2021 automotive clear coat mix according to the instructions, but add 150% of the reducer. Here in Mississippi I use DT 885 but get what the local PPG distributor reccomends. After you spray it, it should look like new money.

Good Luck

David Reid
Old 09-28-2002, 03:39 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default saving a CANOPY?

I tried some MacQuires swirl reducer on some windshield material and was surprised how well it worked.
Old 09-29-2002, 03:32 AM

Default saving a CANOPY?

follow up question

thnx David for the encouraging info... i will try to salvage the original, however i would need some more details please:

1) i will wet sand the canopy as you described, but ( i know it might seem like a dum question but i never wet sanded anything in my life) how do you do that? I know the paper, but do you wet the paper or /and the canopy ? have no clue...

2) also the canopy has some distortion when looking through it (like a very minor frost on glass)... will that go away as well when sanding the outside or will i have to sand/spray the inside wall as well?

Since i have never done this before, i would appreciate every bit of info i can get

THNX for helping out, Vasek
Old 09-29-2002, 12:40 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Default saving a CANOPY?

I have done the same as the above but I kept going and finished off with toothpaste and didn't have to clear coat it. I am sure it took longer.
Old 09-29-2002, 09:58 PM

Default saving a CANOPY?

You can do it inside and out. To wet sand you keep the whole mess wet. I usually keep a cup of water handy and constantly di the sandpaper in it. You just want to make sure the surface is wet. Make sure you use a good quality clear coat as the cheapo can type will yellow over time. I have done this to several canopies over the years with great results. The most important thing you can do is make sure that you are NOT making deeper scratches as you sand. You want it to look foggy all over and not scratched and fuzzy.

David Reid
Old 09-29-2002, 11:28 PM

Default saving a CANOPY?

OKydouky David, i've got all the info needed to proceed:THNX -
i will test on a scrap area... will try the toothpaste to polish instead of clear-coting THNX FlyBOY!

By the way, if someone has ideas on how to simulate sash/mullion on the canopy for a scale look (not just painted on) please let me know. I've heard about applying litho-plate straps - but the attempt wasn't too successful ...

Vasek
Old 09-30-2002, 02:25 AM

Default Saving a canopy

As far as the framing of the canopy you can also use A/C alunimun tape which will comform to the shape you would want it to be I've used it quite a bit and it works for me guess it depends on what you want.
Old 09-30-2002, 02:54 AM

Default saving a CANOPY?

To do the framing coat the canopy with a couple (5) coats of parting wax. Next lay glass cloth over the areas where you want the framing to be, like in 1/2" or 1" wide strips. Do about 2 or 3 layers of 2 or 3 oz cloth. Let cure then pop it off the canopy, and cut to fit. It is a perfect fit, and can be seperately painted then carefully attached.

DR

P.S. Micro Mark also makes a kit for poliching plastic If you don't want to clear the canopy the kit works really well, it is just a whole lot more work.

www.micromark.com
Old 09-30-2002, 04:12 PM

Default saving a CANOPY?

After you sand and polish the canopy dip it in Future floor wax, you will be amazed. works great even on undamaged canopies.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:05 PM

Default saving a CANOPY?

Thank you for all the tips, i will follow the instructions!

cheers Vasek