Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
One more question about using windex for applying monokote over monokote >

One more question about using windex for applying monokote over monokote

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

One more question about using windex for applying monokote over monokote

Old 09-29-2002, 02:09 AM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default One more question about using windex for applying monokote over monokote

I've read all the posts on here about using windex when applying a second layer of monokote and I think that I pretty much have it all straight in my head to go ahead and try it. But I do have one question about the procedure. After I apply the second layer of monokote, work all the liquid out from underneath, and let it dry overnight, do I need to seal the edges of the second layer??? If so, what do I seal the edges with. And can it be sealed with a product bought off the shelf, not at the LHS (the nearest LHS for me is about 60 miles away.)

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Old 09-29-2002, 02:31 AM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One more question about using windex for applying monokote over monokote

If you seal them use an iron on low heat just enough to stick the edges down test it on some scraps before you do it on the plane. Nothing worse than having everything like you like it and having the iron to hot and melting through.
Old 09-29-2002, 02:43 AM
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

KCFlyBoy,
Thanks. I'll give it a test try before I get to work on the plane.

I'm just so tired of spending hours with an iron putting on a second layer. Spending so much time with a pin poking holes in the bubbles and ironing them down. arrrgghhh. looking forward to trying the windex on my next covering job.
Old 09-29-2002, 03:03 AM
My Feedback: (12)

I here you. I hate having to poke a million holes in new covering.
Old 09-29-2002, 01:28 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Once I have the top layer on I never touch it with heat.
Works great and, no corners or edges come up.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:46 AM

Default Monokote layers

Wayne:

Nice job!! Are all of those planes covered with monokote? And if so, you never use heat for the top layer? How does it stay on?
Old 10-01-2002, 01:37 AM

Dennis,

Yes. All of my planes have Monokote on them.
The windex will activate the adhesive on the back of the Monokote.
It usually takes about 20 mins to grab. Overnight to be stuck really well.
This method will also work on Ultracote PLUS. Not on regular Ultracote.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:55 AM

Whats the difference between ultracote plus and ultracote. Every roll of ultracote I've bought says ultracote plus somewhere on it (backing I think).
Old 10-01-2002, 09:55 PM

The "Plus" stuff is sticky backed.
Old 10-02-2002, 12:30 AM

To seal the edges on the second layer, go around the edges with a q-tip dipped in acetone. The acetone will seep under the edge and activate the adhesive. I've used this method and have also sealed the edges with a trim iron. Both have worked for me. (Read and heed the warnings on the acetone can.)
Old 10-02-2002, 02:53 AM
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by hauckf
To seal the edges on the second layer, go around the edges with a q-tip dipped in acetone. The acetone will seep under the edge and activate the adhesive. I've used this method and have also sealed the edges with a trim iron. Both have worked for me. (Read and heed the warnings on the acetone can.)
Hi hauckf, can the windex method work on open bay areas ? Can I use any other type of window cleaner ? I suppose that the critical ingredient is ammonia. For edge sealing, I've seen some people using trim solvent (very small amount). Thanks...........
Old 10-03-2002, 06:41 PM

If the open bay area has been covered by the first layer of MonoCote, then the answer is yes, you can use this method. Only problem is that it is a little more difficult to get all of the bubbles out sometimes. I use a playing card or business card as a squeegie. (I recently used this method to add fairly wide trim stripes on the wings and fuse of a SloPoke 40. That plane is pretty much ALL open bay.) As for other glass cleaners, I wouldn't know. I use plain water with a little liquid soap added. Trim solvent works to seal the edges. Hope this helps.
Old 10-04-2002, 03:12 PM

Default Edge sealing

After applying the top coat with windex let it dry over night and sit it in the sun for a bit - sticks just fine.