Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Where to spray paint??

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Where to spray paint??

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 03:06 AM
Steve_S-RCU

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where to spray paint??

I tried to spray paint my P-51 outside on a blue tarp and got way too much stuff stuck in the paint

If you don't have a shop or spray booth were/what does one do to get a good finish. What I have done worked OK on small models but not my 1/4 scale. Must be that I could spray fast and leave with the little ones.
Old 10-08-2002, 03:14 AM
Buz^
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steve

if tarp and plastic is all you have, then string a rope and drape the tarp over it and in effect , make a small tent . if you leave the ends open it will create its own draft so try and close it up as much as possible. Buz
Old 10-08-2002, 01:04 PM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

and wear a resporator in the tent but you do need to keep it enclosed or every little thing floating around in the wind will find your paint.

Dauntae
Old 10-10-2002, 04:18 PM
LQUAN
My Feedback: (17)

If you don't have a spray booth or don't want to destroy your good camping tend, make a booth out of fresh newspapers. I just use masking tapes to put together a small booth at a corner of my garage with the support of a few ropes and sticks. Be sure to keep the plane high above the floor to prevent updraft while spraying (3-4ft). A respirator is a MUST.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:21 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

It is important if you are spraying outside to pick the right time of day. Early morning is best when the sun is just coming up and burning the dew off. There should be very little wind.

Inside you can make a booth by suspending visqueen from the ceiling. The added benefit of the visqueen is it carries a slight static charge and the dust gets attracted to it, and hopefully away from your model.

David Reid
Old 10-11-2002, 04:10 AM
Steve_S-RCU

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input guys!!!!