Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

best fuel resistant clear coating?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

best fuel resistant clear coating?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 08:53 AM
Spritzen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best fuel resistant clear coating?

Hi all

will any clear laquer like an auto paint be suitable, or is there one specially mae for model aircraft?

Thx
Old 10-27-2005, 09:58 AM
hhhhhhhhh
Banned

Default RE: best fuel resistant clear coating?

yes i would like to know aswell
Old 10-27-2005, 11:27 AM
minan59
My Feedback: (1)

I have used automotive clear on my outrigger boat hulls. Its fuel proof to 45% nitro, but You need to wipe the spilled fuel in the 1st minute. Bear in mind these are 2 part paints that have to be sprayed out of a gun not a spray can. Hope this helps Mike
Old 10-27-2005, 11:36 AM
bhole74

Automotive Urethane would be a better choice than enamel or laquer, much more durable and has a better shine. Some paint jobbers are able to mix it in a spray can, mine can.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:49 AM
D Bronk

Automotive is the BEST..I use it on full scale Planes+HELIs..MORE money ,but you do get ,what you pay for.a shine that can`t be beat too
Old 10-27-2005, 04:53 PM
DamonTX

While we're on the subject....is there a good book or website that explains different types of paints (lacquer, enamel, automotive..etc..)?
Old 10-28-2005, 08:49 AM
bhole74

Here is a quick rundown of a few paints. Most paint in a spray can are cheap and very easily ruined by anything other than water. Paints like Lustercote and such which are formulate specifically model use are generally the best in this catagory. Automotive paints may be enamel, acrylic enamel, acrylic urethane, poly urethane or urethane. There are more, but these are the most common. Enamel is what you will find on most farm equipment and such. Acrylic enamel is more for glossy finishes but will oxidize over time ( grandpa's faded dull 1970 PU). Laquer, hope you keep it undercover, the weather elements will make it crack like and egg in no time. Acrylic urethane, better and more durable than acrylic enamel, but still second rate. Polyurethane, very durable, what most full scale planes are painted with, one good whiff and your dead. Urethane, much safer, just as durable, can withstand just about all chemicals (short of paint stripper), can handle elements of the weather, most commonly used in automotive industry nowdays. One thing a lot of bodyshops around here don't realize is Acrylic urethane and urethane ARE NOT compatable, thus leading to a total mess, which I commonly have to fix.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:09 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Suggestions for a flat clear coat?

Scott
Old 10-28-2005, 10:17 AM
Campy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Automotive 2 part finishes and/or epoxy finishes are probably the most fuel resistant, but among the heaviest and most expensive.

For MOST aircraft models, I would use Ultracote, LusterKote or one of the alternatives.

Since LusterKote and Ultracote are relatively expensive, I have done some expermenting. What I have found is that MOST ACRYLIC enamels are relatively fuel proof, come in a spray can and are typically about 1/2 of what LusterKote or Ultracote sells for. (Do a test panel first to be sure if it is fuel proof )

If you have spray equipment (and can afford it ) go with automotive 2 part paints. If you are not wealthy (or cheap, like me ), go with the alternatives. One light weight, inexpensive alternative, IF YOU HAVE SPRAY EQUIPMENT, is latex paint. It does take about 2 weeks to cure, however a quart of exact matched paint is about $8 - $10 (enough to do several 1/4 scale planes ). The other thing is that latex does need to be clear coated to be fuel proof.

I have also included a "Compatibility" paint sheet, which should help you to avoid common mistakes.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85948.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	345298  
Old 10-28-2005, 11:14 AM
bhole74

ORIGINAL: saramos

Suggestions for a flat clear coat?

Scott

Depending on the type of paint, a flattener is available. It has become extremely popular with the street rod crowd. i.e. flat black hoods/ striping
Old 10-28-2005, 03:00 PM
rcuman

I just use Minwax Polyurethane semi-gloss spray. It has always worked for me.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:18 AM
CafeenMan

Klass Kote clear is wonderful stuff and I believe safer than automotive urethane. You can get either gloss or satin catalyst. I love the stuff personally.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:14 AM
mirwin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Campy ". . . . a "Compatibility" paint sheet, which . . . "
Campy, can't read the compatibility sheet. Would you please repost, PM or email ([email protected]) it to me?

Thanks much,
Mike