Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Mini Router Table

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Mini Router Table

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Weasel Keeper
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Router Table

Stumbled over this simple plan for a moto-tool [link=http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/wood/story/data/346.xml]router table[/link]. I hope someone finds it useful.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:38 AM
linclogs

Default RE: Mini Router Table

I'm looking at the exploded view of the mini router table and trying to figure out how it would be useful. It doesn't have a fence or guide like most commercial router tables so you couldn't use it as a shaper for making small molding. If you tried to use it to hollow out something you'd be working upside down and couldn't see the cut being made in the stock. About the only way I can see to use it would be free-hand shaping but my hands aren't steady enough. I'd stick to carving and sanding. Maybe I just haven't seen them but are there router bits for something as small as a Dremel tool?

Maybe by adding a fence, it could be useful but then I'd just use my regular router tabel.

Am I missing something here? Sometimes we get used to doing things a certain way and can't see the benefit of an advanced technology and that could very well be me!
Old 11-19-2005, 07:11 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Dremel has a few bits that could be used for cutting things like straight slots. As long as the sides overhang it would be easy enough to add a fence. It doesn't have to be square or parallel to anything like on a saw. However, I'm with you, I think I'll just stick with my router table.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:39 PM
the-plumber

Dremel #231 shaper/router table isn't very expensive, and it comes with a guard, adjustable fence, and most importantly, a depth adjustment.

Less than fifty bucks : http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com...OD&ProdID=5087
Old 11-19-2005, 05:06 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

Rockler sells a selection of 1/8" shank router bits
http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=289
Old 11-20-2005, 04:24 AM
FOD MAN

Toolsforless has the dremel #231 for $28.99
Old 11-21-2005, 07:20 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Weasel Keeper, I like that idea. I have a Dremel router table, and this looks sturdier.... You can always clamp a fence where you need it on the table.

From the looks of your avatar, does that mean that you are/were a Phantom Phixer?

Bob
Old 11-21-2005, 08:20 AM
Weasel Keeper

N1EDM,

There's something about wood fixtures that have a nice "feel" when driving a high speed cutting tool. I think it helps dampen the vibration. Anyway, if one doesn't have a commercial router table, this would seem a nice solution. A woodworker can make any kind of fence or fixture he needs.

Yep, I've had my share of Phantom bites . I used to work flightline avionics on the Phantom F4-E and Gs. What an ugly, dirty, maintenance intense, phantastic machine.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:15 AM
N1EDM

Yeah, I used to hear about you Phantom Phixers... it sounds like you earned the patch too.

Looks like we're fellow airdales. I was a tube rat in Orions

Bob
Old 11-21-2005, 01:27 PM
linclogs

I was a Wpns Spec on F-4's at Bitburg in the late 60's and early 70's. Good plane. Just don't move the aircraft if the centerline rack is removed! Someone did it once while I was there and it took McDonald reps 2 weeks to finally get the rack back in!

linclogs
Old 11-21-2005, 04:58 PM
APIA

Might as well get in this too... Airdales Unite... Plane Captain EA-6B Prowler, U.S.S Nimitz, Forrestal and Independence. Shore Based Whidbey Island Washington.
-Tom
Old 11-22-2005, 10:30 AM
N1EDM

Like you all say = Airdales Unite!! Gawd, I can't believe all the problems you had just cuz the centerline rack was removed.. I'd heard tales about how strict the Maintenance was on the F-4's.

As for the Prowler, I always loved that gold plated canopy. A friend of mine was in those as a tech - didn't talk about it much. His brain bucket had the Playboy Bunny logo on it, and the plane's callsign was Peter Rabbit.

We landed next to some EA-6B's that were getting ready for night ops. We couldn't get too close because of all the automatic weapons nearby. Hmmmmm.

Good tales, but we don't want to hijack this thread.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it in my earlier post, but while I like the Dremel router table, the mount for the moto-tool isn't too right. I think the table is OK, but the took can move if you put too much pressure on the tip, even with the adapter in place.

I might try to con my brother into making one of these for me. He's the woodworker here, and he owed me a few favors.

Bob
Old 11-22-2005, 12:09 PM
Weasel Keeper

Sorry guys. My experience comes from the Air Force. I worked what are known as Wild Weasels. Our birds did worked jointly with the Prowlers from time to time. I also worked with a P-3 flight Engineer during my stint at Lockheed. In fact, I may have watched the last P-3s roll off the line during the 90s. If I remember right, they were headed to South Korea.

I remember those F-4 stress panels. You would get real popular if you moved a bird with one removed.

The more I think about this router table, the more I'm thinking about a laminate trimmer as an alternative to the dremel and full size router. They have more solid mounts, better depth adjustment, and smaller size than the full size. Some even have angle adjustments. Hmmm. I think I have to go update my Christmas wish list!
Old 11-22-2005, 02:05 PM
N1EDM

Lamainate trimmer - what an idea...

I'll have to look at the size bits that we can use in it...

Those Wild Weasel's really knew how to rock and role. I think the Navy used to call it Iron Hand.... Whatever, we owe those guys a lot.

Bob
Old 11-24-2005, 11:11 AM
CafeenMan

The one I made is a lot simpler, easy to store and works great! A dedicated table will probably work better but I'm short on space and use mine maybe once or twice per project.

[link=http://www.airfieldmodels.com/information_source/how_to_articles_for_model_builders/tools/dremel_router_shaper_table/index.htm]Router/Shaper Table for Dremel Tool[/link]