Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Canopy Gluing >

Canopy Gluing

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Canopy Gluing

Old 07-11-2002, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canopy Gluing

What is the best way to glue on the canopy. I have what is supposed to be the "best" canopy glue(white-looks like Elmers glue). Do you have to run a bead or just a few dobbs on the canopy and then tape it down or tape it down first and then run a bead around the outside. This is my first time and and I am hoping not to screw it up. Is this task easier than it looks????

Thanks in advance, Jerry
Old 07-12-2002, 04:23 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Default Canopy Gluing

I usually don't use glue on my canopies. I screw them on with wood screws. You'll have to mark the points and drill a pilot hole to keep the plastic from cracking. Then, I take some matching covering and line the canopy. This makes for a good, strong setup. In fact, this is how my PT-19 is done. It can two windshields, and these two are so strong I can pick the plane up by the windshields. You can take some covering and attach it first, and then screw it on. On some planes it looks good with the screws exposed. This method is also easy to get off, and reattach if you need to clean dust from the inside of the canopy or something.
Old 09-07-2002, 07:20 PM
Banned

Default Canopy Gluing

I found some good stuff at the local Hobby Lobby. (home decorating and crafts) "E6000" Its clear, and TRIES to bond to Monokote. (I've never found anything that succeeded...) 20 sec after applying the canopy to a Tower Kaos ARF (helping a guy with his ARF) we could lift the plane by the canopy... that's about 6 lbs!

Its a clear slightly flexible glue, applies almost like silocone sealant. Sticks like crazy to the windscreen material. Remains slightly flexible when dry. (about like the canopy material when its almost hot enough to form, not rubbery like silicone sealant.)

Unfortunately... it does let go of the Monokote after a while. 10 flights and the canopy is loose in 2 places appx 3 inches long each. We figure 3 more flights till we peel the canopy loose and re-glue it (pokiing some holes in the Monokote to let the glue get to the wood.)

I'm still experimenting with the stuff... Maybe a light sanding of the monokote would have allowed it to remain stuck. (we just wiped it with a dry cloth.)