Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Keeping connectors together?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Keeping connectors together?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 07:04 PM
cjackgo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping connectors together?

I've used the baggie tie, the hot glue, the dot of CA, the electrical tape and the shrink tubing. They all seem to work well at home with connections that are done one time at home. My question is what is the best way for those connectors that are done and undone constantly? Such as the ailerons. How about the clip-on connectors?

Jack
Old 01-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Newc

Default RE: Keeping connectors together?

I don't use anything for my aileron connections. Since I have plenty of slack and a tight fit I've never felt the need.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:14 PM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

the clip on stuff works ok... There is also available a locking connector. Don't know who makes them, but I've seen them before.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:25 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are two commercial types that are very good.

Ernst connectors are a flat piece of black plastic and keep the wires together. Though they are more difficult to get on and off.

Slimline makes a connector box that snaps together. Though sometimes they come undone on their own. They are quite easy to snap together once you learn the trick to them
Old 01-01-2007, 10:48 PM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Locking connectors (Molex C-Grid) are available in sizes to fit two to 25 wires. I buy mine from Digi-key (www.digikeu.com) page 124 in the sep-dec 2006 catalog. You can also search their site, the three wire connector shells with built in latch are part numbers wm2901-nd and wm2434-nd. You will have to buy the crimp terminals listed on page 125, part numbers depend on wire size and if you want tin or gold plating and a crimp tool will be needed. I have used these connectors for years with no problems. I use the multiple pin connector to build a wire harness for connecting the wing to fuse, replaces several connectors( aileron, flaps, retract) with just one. Use the stock servo connectors on the ends of the extensions from the servo and the Molex connector at the wing center section. Stock connector at the receiver and Molex on the other end of the extension that connects to the wing.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A couple companies make locking clamps that fit over the conectors. One of the guys at our field uses wide Velcro patches that seal all around the connectors and that seems simple and quick.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:16 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Or you can cut em yourself out of plastic. Just cut a strip of PVC 3/8ths inch wide, drill it twice with a bit wide enough to slip the wires through and far enough apart for the slack of the connectors and cut from the side of the plastic on one side each hole. Slip the wire through the cutout, make the connection and pull out the strap. In essence, you are making homemade Earnst style connectors.

Oops, forgot this was in Tips n Techniques and not SPAD. You can make em out of coffee can lid plastic if you don't have a stack of PVC scrap hanging around.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:11 PM
cjackgo

Thanks guys for all the ideas. I'm going to try a couple of them and see which is best for me. Now where was that PVC I had left over from the sprinkler system I put in?

Jack
Old 01-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Capt Lou

Try a piece of masking tape that overlaps each side of the connection. It is easy to apply and remove and there is nothing mechanical to be done or undone. I use masking tape on all my battery connections and overlap my receiver connections. There is no mess and you don't have to be concerned about shorting any wires.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:59 PM
jeffpits

I've had good luck using these. They're easy on and off, plus secure.

Jeff

[link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDT85&P=0[/link]
Old 01-11-2007, 07:23 PM
BillS

For connectors that are not intended to come apart each time the wing is installed heat shrink tubing works well.

Bill
Old 01-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There's also something to be said for snipping off the female connector on the extension, cutting the servo wire and splicing the extension in with solder and heat-shring tubing.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:52 AM
APIA

Waxed dental floss works well also...
Old 10-13-2018, 06:12 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will not trust my plane to plug-in servo and battery connections. I build extensions by splicing in appropriate sized wire and soldering the joints, then heat shrink insulating them. then the only place there is a plug connection, is into the receiver. I see no reason to not make the servo and battery wires custom length for each individual plane. they aren't something that goes in and out of a plane all the time,....9 times out of 10, once they (the servos) are installed, they stay in the plane until they either die or the plane is crashed so why not make them specifically for the plane they are used in ?. that's the only really secure and reliable way, in my opinion. it's also a lot cheaper......even if you have to buy a small soldering iron (1st time), solder, wire and flux,.... it's still cheaper than buying a bunch of pre-made extensions.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:35 AM
Skyhawk940

I use dental flose to tie them together. Very cheep and works great. Two times around between the wires. Never had one come apart, even in a crash and I've had a few of them.

Skyhawk
Old 10-16-2018, 09:04 AM
r ward

I guess any way you do it is better than trusting the plugs to stay together. it's like having to buy insurance,.....the one time you need it, justifies all the money you spent getting it.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:40 PM
frankyy54

Heat shrinkin tube is the best solution..
Old 04-17-2019, 12:49 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
In my 44 years in this hobby I have never used any specific gadget to hold servo wires together and have never had a plug loosen.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:52 AM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Originally Posted by jaka
Hi!
In my 44 years in this hobby I have never used any specific gadget to hold servo wires together and have never had a plug loosen.
Agreed. Is this a new phenomena that only occurs in certain areas?
Old 07-01-2019, 04:57 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I used to use the Ernst connectors but I have yet to find a decent glue that will keep them glued to the connector housing.

carl
Old 07-15-2019, 09:41 AM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Where the connection will not be accessible again, I use heat shrink tubing. At the connection between ailerons and flaps to the receiver extensions, I use nothing for glow planes. I use these in the pic for those connections in gassers, for safety from vibrations. My son designed and printed these for me, based on store bought ones I previously used and had difficulty using.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:40 AM
Doog-meister

I generally do not use anything for the aileron connectors, and have not had problems flying glow planes for over 20 years. I have occasionally used velcro - a piece on the fuse and the other side on the connectors. The sticky-back stuff works well.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:01 PM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

Try Sonic Tronics

https://www.sonictronics.us/misc-mod...-nifty-keeper/
The following users liked this post:
daveopam (05-23-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 12:43 AM
jonnyjr

I use the clip on connectors that you can slide on or I make up servo leads with the integrated clips on the sockets. Both work well.