Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Cover stab and fin before attaching or after?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Cover stab and fin before attaching or after?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 04:42 PM
nads
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cover stab and fin before attaching or after?

On all of the kits I have built in the past, I covered the tail feathers prior to attatching them to the fusilage. I'm finishing up a hog bipe and I see a bit of work I could do with lightweight filler blend everything together. If I do this, I will have to permenantly attatch the stab and fin before I cover them. What technique does everybody prefer, covering them after attaching, or before?
Old 02-09-2003, 04:58 PM
bignasdy-RCU

I do it both ways. Its easier with the tail seperate of course, but the other way is fine too. If the plane has to have the tail attached during the build, like my d9, then after of course.
d
Old 02-09-2003, 05:07 PM
AR196

There was a complete discussion on this in a building forum, explaining several ways to do it.

Don't remember the exact place. It was under hinging surfaces and the various types of giant hinges available - pinned, points - and brands. That will probably answer all your questions.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:32 PM
rockhouse
My Feedback: (5)

Default pig tails

On the hog you have the filler blocks that tie the fuse into the stab & rudder. If, while building you build a jig to simulate the fin & stab (a small T shaped jig the same thickness as the fin & stab) you use the jig to carve the filler blocks. Don't throw the jig away. If you reduce the size of it you can put the jig in place & glue the filler blocks in place. Now cover the fuse. Cover the feathers. remove the jig & glue feathers in place.

Build it & it will crash

ps If you don't move the lg block forward the plane will tend to tip over on landing. Also if using a 4 stroke .91 you might want to mount your battery in the tail using a hatch. If you have any questions about that let me know.

Joe
Old 02-10-2003, 04:00 PM
Fly4Fun2
My Feedback: (25)

Joe does a really good job of explaining how to do it on this plane.

However, there will be a time when this does not work and you have to attach the fin/stab before covering. The process is simple for covering afterwards. Just take small 1/2" (or so)wide strips of covering and use this to do the corners where the fuse/stab/fin meet. Then when you cover, you have a strip to butt up against with the main section of covering.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:28 PM
nads
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks for the info guys. In this case I think I will attatch first then cover so that when I need to I'll have had the experience before. Although I've flip flopped three times already, so I may change my mind again.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:48 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The last section of this:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/reviews.ph...ew&reviewid=67

Will explain how to cover the tail with strips like Fly4Fun2 said.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:33 AM
birdnest

I always cover the tail surfaces after they are glued in, I think it makes for a cleaner appearance. I have found the leading edge of the horizontal stab, where it joins the fuse, to be a pain to cover. I cut a separate strip of monocoat, 1/2" wide and maybe an inch in legnth, fold it legnth wise to make a crease down the center, then make a series of cuts on either side of the crease like this (hope this works):

IIIIIIIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Using a trim iron, iron down one finger (of covering, not your hand!) at a time onto the fuse and onto the stab. Start at the centerline of the leading edge (the middle). This little piece will overlap a little onto the longer strips on the top and bottom of the stab to fuse joint.

Peter