Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Cheap tools

Old 02-23-2007, 05:05 PM
bhady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cheap tools

The next time you're in to see your favorite dentist, ask if you can get a few dental picks or other instruments that are no longer useable. They work geat for removing "O" Rings, retrieving small nuts, washers etc. that tend to fall into tight places that fingers don't fit in as well as small scrapers. You can't beat the price, I got about a dozen free. Dental burrs are also useful, the shank is about 1/16" , fits your dremel tool collet.

bhady
Old 02-23-2007, 08:54 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Cheap tools

ORIGINAL: bhady

The next time you're in to see your favorite dentist, ask if you can get a few dental picks or other instruments that are no longer useable. They work geat for removing "O" Rings, retrieving small nuts, washers etc. that tend to fall into tight places that fingers don't fit in as well as small scrapers. You can't beat the price, I got about a dozen free. Dental burrs are also useful, the shank is about 1/16" , fits your dremel tool collet.

bhady
I never use the words "favorite" and "dentist" in the same sentence. Sounds too much like I enjoy going.

I have many old dental and surgical instruments in my tool box. The picks are also nice for placing repair work where you can't get your fingers; just spear the piece, and when it adheres where you want it, pull off the pick. Old clamps work great for holding work, attaching wiring, etc, in hard to reach places also, and I have a long scalpel handle, and get opened, but unused #11 surgical blades from my job. They make X-acto blades look like butter knives.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Newc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've also gotten old hemostats from the dentist. Even if one jaw (we're talking hemostat jaws here!) is broken the other one can be ground down to match and make it as good as new. Too many uses for a hemostat to go into here.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:24 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you saw my last dental bill, you wouldn't call these tools cheap!!!!!