Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Teach me how to build! >

Teach me how to build!

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Teach me how to build!

Old 08-27-2002, 08:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teach me how to build!

There's not likely to be a better first kit than the Sig Four Star 40.

There's very little that you have to cut to size when building.

Space most of the wing ribs with the pre-cut shear webs... saves lots of time adds about 1/4 inch to each wing. (the root bays are narrower, and should be spaced by the plans... gotta cut the dihedral angle anyway.)

This is a low wing nearly symetrical wing design, which is almost as easy to fly as a common trainer, but capable of almost any aerobatics you could want. Knife-edge loop is problematic, requireing the CG to be so far aft that the plane is nearly uncontrollable when the fuel runs out. But that's the only non-3d maneuver it won't do.

Avoid the most common complaint... don't use a 10X6 on a .40. Use an 11 X 4, which will allow you to slow down and land while the engine is still running. (and will almost give vertical climb if you don't add ballast.) If you put a .46 on, look at lengthening the landing gear a little and put an APC 12.25X3.75 on and it should hover.
Old 08-27-2002, 10:06 AM
My Feedback: (3)

You're looking for kits with a 'box fuse and constant chord wing'. They are the simplest form of an airplane, and are usally the easiest to build. Also think about your flying style, as there are many kits to choose from.

That is, the fuse is 4 pieces with a turtle deck. usually very simple to build. the wing is a board: all the ribs are teh same..

I agree with FH (As i usually do ) ANY 4 Star kit is a great starting point. Then again, just about any Sig kit is a good start. You might want to look at the Sig Somethin' Extra as well. I've built a few, and they always fly great!

Great Planes as well. they have some of teh best manuals out there. Lot's of 'extra' tips that make you smile! The slow poke, the Pete'n poke, the Super Sportster series to mname a few..

Most of these kits are now laser cut, meaning teh pieces fit almost perfectly, and employ 'tabs & slots' for easy assembly and alignemnt.

Top Flight kits should be failry good, once you've gotten through a kit or two. Fomr what I'm lead to beielve, they are 'builder freindly'

The Harry Higley books are also a good place to start. His 'Getting Airborne' feature kit building and coveirng. Definietly worth the $$

Just remember to get a few tools. GP kits usually have a list or [required' tools, as well as a list of 'nice to have'.

remeber to come back here, and review what others have said!

have fun! but take your time!!
Old 08-27-2002, 11:02 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Relax, take your time, measure carefully, ask questions and above all; enjoy the experience.
Old 08-27-2002, 04:36 PM
My Feedback: (3)

And don't do anything after 10:00. It'll take twice as long the next day to fix...