Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Tinting canopy >

Tinting canopy

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Tinting canopy

Old 08-31-2002, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tinting canopy

I am looking for the best method for tinting a canopy. I made a test useing Rite fabric dye that did ok but the color was off. The test I did with the black dye came out more like a shade of brown I want to tint my canopy a dark grey or black. Any help would be greatly appreciated. PDuck
Old 08-31-2002, 07:34 AM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default tinting canopy

I use a real simple method, but you can't see through it when done. Just paint the inside with a light coat of cheap black spray paint. It will look great from the outside and dosn't have to be very thick. The only thing to watch for is where it contacts the plane. I like to tape off about 1/4 inch around the bottem so the canopy glue will stick to the canopy not the paint. then after it's glued on put black pinstripe from Great Planes around the bottem of the outside. This looks great ,is light weight, and can be done in any color.
Later Daveo
Old 08-31-2002, 07:50 AM

Default Tinting canopy

Daveo ,
Do you have any problem with the paint cracking or chipping over time? PDuck
Old 08-31-2002, 08:59 AM
Banned

Default Tinting canopy

Red Devil's black label pants stick to canopies and lexan R/C car bodies quite well. I've also used then to paint the inside of soda bottle material for use as canopies and cowls.

And... most colors are fuelproof. I haven't tried any of the metalics... which generally are less fuel resistant than other colors for some reason.
Old 08-31-2002, 02:07 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Tinting canopy

The oldest one I have is 6 years old. It still looks new. And like I said do a light coat. When the canopy is off the plane you should be able to see some daylight through the paint. Once its on the plane it will look black as night. Also it dose not matter if you use flat or gloss paint. The canopy will give you the shine.
later daveo
Old 09-02-2002, 09:34 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Default Tinting canopy

Go here:
http://www.aerotech-rc.com/hints_tips/

we've detailed teh process. Simply put, it's a matter of trial and error (the rite die method. You can always mix dies to obtain something close..
Old 09-03-2002, 07:01 AM

Default Tinting canopy

Thanks for all the help. PDuck