Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Flying Wire Kits

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Flying Wire Kits

Old 02-26-2002, 11:41 PM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying Wire Kits

I need to replace the cosmetic flying wires on my Goldberg Decathlon (two broke the other day). Anyone know where I can get a somewhat lite set that would work? It doesn't really need to add support because as stated, it is cosmetic.

Thanks,
Old 02-28-2002, 12:07 AM
Denjones

Default Flying wires

I realize your request was for cosmetic but Sullivan Flying wires have Kevlar wire that is almost indestructable. They aren't cheap (around $18) but they work well.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:11 PM
ramireo

Default RE: Flying wires

The wires on the Goldberg Decathlon are not cosmetic. w/o them the whole tail would shake a lot. I have one with a Saito 100 and also broke a couple. I have not found a similar wire kit... I believe that the Sullivan one is not similar to Goldberg's. This one is flexible and Goldberg's is stiff. Is there a similar stiff wire kit that can be purchased separately.
Thanks!
Old 02-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Birddog-RCU
My Feedback: (62)

They were cosmetic on my Decathlon. I flew without them for a very long time.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:12 PM
cyclops2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are loads of fishing lines that do not stretch at all. they are dirt cheap in any size

Go to a tackle shop and they might give you the stuff for free. Amount you need is nothing to them.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:07 PM
Eindecker_pilot

Default RE: Flying Wire Kits

If its cosmetic flying wires you want, I like to use the black elastic cord found in sewing or craft departments. It glues or ties easily to fittings and stays taught without turnbuckles.

If you want functional flying wires, I've found this brand of Kevlar to be more durable than the Sullivan brand. It is called Aramid cable from Electronic Model Systems.
http://www.emsjomar.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=4
Old 02-12-2006, 01:10 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I've used musuc wire and clevises with good luck...

or would it be clevii?
Old 02-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I use vinyl covered steel braided fishing leader wire. Costs less than $5 usually in the fishing depts. It comes in strengths of 20lbs up to 80lbs. Also use it for pull pull systems. BUT, if its just cosmetic, I've seen eindecker_pilots suggestion used on a few WW1 planes. They just stretched and hooked it, nice and fast setup. Couldnt tell any difference in the air. Remember that its on a slow flying plane. If its on a faster plane, (just speculating now), it would probably look like a stretched line dragging in the wind. But it DOES look pretty good on a slow flying plane.
Edwin
Old 02-13-2006, 07:53 AM
beepee

How about music wire and soldered electric terminals. Solder them together mounted and you don't need adjustment. Very functional and cheap. Works for me.

Bedford